Chapter One: Hard Beginnings

Start from the beginning

He glanced away. "Thank you. I really don't deserve you as a brother."

"You're right, you don't." He hit him gently on the arm, and Adrian gave a short exhale. There was a pause. "You're really going to leave in the middle of the night like this?"

"I must."

"It's only been a month since Father's death. Adrian, the funeral—"

"I can't. I already said my goodbyes. You know how much I despise publicly mourning."

"Yes, I remember. You missed Mother's funeral as well."

"Then you understand why I can't."

He breathed out a sigh. "You're bringing escorts, of course." There was silence. Antoine placed both hands on his brother's shoulders and gazed at him seriously. "You're bringing escorts, right? You're not thinking of leaving by yourself?"

"I don't think it wise to bring any."

"What do you mean?" He made an exasperated sound while removing his hands. "Of course, it is wise, Adrian. What a ludicrous statement. Just bring a few escorts and soldiers so I don't hear about your early death a month later in a letter."

"They could compromise my disguise, Tony. It's not safe, and I'd rather not cause a big scene. With escorts, it will quickly become obvious to anyone that they are of a lower station than me. It'll just make me the center of attention and a possible target, especially in the rougher parts of Venwick."

He let out an exasperated breath. "Well, bring servants who are good actors. It's not that difficult. Please, you must promise me you won't travel alone. It'll ease my mind knowing you are protected."

"But I can protect myself."

"Can you really? Venwick is a dangerous place. Not to mention, Elden Town is as northwest as you can travel. It's a long journey and let's face it, you've never even been outside Fernshire, much less Nebrasia itself."

"I'll be fine. I'm trained with the blade so I can protect myself, and I know not to stick my nose where it doesn't belong."

The younger brother hesitated, then stood straighter with his head held high. "As the newly appointed prince regent of Nebrasia, I forbid you from leaving unless you bring escorts."

"You can't forbid me."

"Oh, yes I can."

His face fell. "Are you serious right now?"

"Dead serious."

Adrian considered him, then exhaled quickly. "Fine. I will. Are you happy?"

Regent Antoine frowned. "Not really. My only brother is leaving to visit one of the most dangerous parts of Elderian while I am left with this stewardship." He looked down, exhaling.

"Hey," he said gently. "Don't worry so much. I'll be back before you know it. As far as you being prince regent, I know you'll manage things just fine, maybe even better than me."

"I'll certainly be a less moody ruler, that's for sure."

He snorted but did not disagree.

ϟ ϟ ϟ 

Adrian rode atop a white stallion while two of his men followed him on their own steeds.

Antoine and Princess Madeleine stood, waiting for him at the tall, metal gate that led into Fernshire. The disguised king dismounted, embracing his brother.