Chapter 34 Missing in Action

Começar do início

"No, I want Jett to stay behind and keep tracking. Send us the coordinates, we're going after them now!" Brook said, trying to cover the panic in his voice as he hung up.

"What about the chief?" Payton asked.

"Michelle's the only one with the device that can track him. We find her, we find the chief," Brook said, and shut the door. The three of them hit the road, driving as fast as they dared to Michelle's location. Brook chewed his tongue while he drove, worry for her safety eating him up.

"Why, Michelle? Why did you do that?" He asked himself. "Why would you shut us out, go alone with Holden of all people..." He tried to put himself in her shoes, to think up a reason for her actions. He thought about his own actions last year, how he left the crew, left her to go after Kromer... Alone, because he didn't want anyone to get hurt, most of all, Michelle...

And she was just like him.

"Shit!" He burst out as the answer struck him and his car skidded a little on the road. His radio came on and Payton's voice flowed out.

"Brook, you okay? You nearly rammed me there..."

"I know why Michelle took the tracker... she doesn't want us following her to wherever she's going!"

"Well, yeah, but, why?" Reece asked.

"She's trying to protect us... she doesn't want to put us in danger," Brook said, nearly feeling nauseated with worry. "But she's prepared to drive into danger herself..." he quickly called Jett back.

"Jett, what else did Michelle say before she left?" He asked urgently.

"She figured the chief was going after Zhang," Jett said.

"Zhang? But we left him in the dust earlier!"

"Yeah, but Michelle believes the chief went after him in order to get to Mr. Cross!" The air got cut off from his lungs when Brook heard that.

"C-Cross?! She thinks Soriano's going after Cross through Zhang and went after them with Holden Lee?!" He declaimed. "Dammit, Jett, why didn't you tell me this earlier?! She could be driving straight into a trap!"

"Brook, hang on, we might not have cause to worry," Payton said suddenly through the radio. "We just gotta find out what happened to Zhang. Wherever he is, the chief might be there."

"Yeah, but Michelle's still with that accursed Holden Lee and that's worrying the living daylights out of me!" Brook snapped. "Screw Zhang, I just wanna get to Michelle first!"

"We'll find her, Brook," Paige said firmly. "As long as we can track her car, we have a lead."

"Dammit, but it's starting to feel like all this is the chief's fault!" Brook grumbled angrily. "If only he hadn't left us without a warning that he was going off on his own, Michelle wouldn't be doing something so stupid right now!"

"We'll find them, Brook," Leslie's gentle voice came through the radio. "Wherever they are..."