Chapter 29 Operation: Bait and Chase

"You have got to be (censored) kidding me!" Holden cussed reprehensibly as Jett strapped a tracking bracelet to his ankle later that night. Jett looked extremely pleased with himself to do it and Paige watched on with an amused chortle.

"Looks good on you. Very 'in' among criminal wear." Holden gave her a dirty look but replaced it when Payton caught his eye.

"This is a (censored) insult!" Holden continued to cuss, making Michelle cringe nearby. Brook saw her face and stepped up to Holden with a threatening stance.

"You watch your mouth around here or you're gonna be getting your teeth knocked in," he said, bringing his fist an inch from Holden's mouth. Holden lapsed into a fuming silence after that.

"You prove you're trustworthy and the bracelet comes off," Soriano said to him. "Until then, you try to run, contact any of the Mao You or anyone else, and I'll drag you to the NPD myself."

"I'm not afraid of the cops, you can't pull that line on me!" Holden retorted. Soriano looked calm as he answered, "No, but if the cops turn you loose for lack of evidence, it'll be a matter of time before Zhang picks you up. Then you'll wish you were safely behind bars."

"Ooh, burn!" Paige said, making a hand bomb at Holden. Unable to cuss, he made an angry snarl like a tiger whose tail got pulled. Michelle giggled in the corner.

"He's a regular burr in the saddle," she commented to Leslie beside her. Leslie smiled.

"He's just an overgrown kid denied of the safety and shelter of family love. It isn't easy living the street life. I know the chief's done a bang-up job trying to raise this bunch, despite the troubles he's faced. Still, they turned out good." Leslie gazed at the crew with fond eyes. "But not everybody was lucky enough to be taken under Morgan's wing."

"Morgan?" Michelle asked, raising her eyebrows with a little smile.

"I mean the Chief!" Leslie corrected quickly, a little color appearing on her cheeks. Michelle smirked and nudged her gently.

"Don't worry, I won't tell." Leslie cleared her throat, returning to her cup of coffee to burrow her face.

"Tell what?" Paige asked, her ears perking up.

"Nothing," Michelle said quickly, moving away before Paige could prod her with questions. Payton came up to her and sat down beside her on the swivel chair, back facing front and his arms resting on the back.

"Hey." He addressed her without looking at her.

"Hey," Paige answered casually, guessing he wanted to talk.

"What's on your mind?"

"Nothing, why would you ask?" Paige asked, turning to look at him.

"Paige, you should know by now I can read you like an open book," Payton said softly, still keeping his gaze from hers. She sighed.

"It's my fault for getting too close to you," she said wistfully, though her eyes softened on him. "Alright fine, I'll talk." Payton turned the chair to face her. She chuckled quietly.

"Don't you think all this is my fault?" Her question made Payton raise an eyebrow.

"At least part of it. If I hadn't courted trouble dragging the Nightshades into our lives because I thought they could help, we'd be in a lot less shit without them."

"True." Payton's acquiescence annoyed her and she slapped his arm.

"Hey!"

"You're supposed to comfort me, not agree with me!" she griped, making Payton chuckle.