Chapter 23 Family Ties and Pseudo Foes

"I think I might have to mortgage my Rolex to pay this back," Payton sighed in the hotel room later

"I think I might have to mortgage my Rolex to pay this back," Payton sighed in the hotel room later. They had returned after the shopping trip loaded with bags. Payton held up the bill for the girls' shopping which totaled about eight hundred dollars.

"Relax, it's not so bad. We'll be getting a little extra cash from the race winnings so it should more than make up for it," Brook said assuredly.

"Assuming you win the race," Payton grumbled. "Not that I doubt your skills... "

"You, my friend, are suffering from post-shopping depression." Brook chuckled. "It'll wear off soon. Besides, didn't you get paid for working at the dealership? Soriano told me sales were pretty good thanks to you."

"Considering the fact that I came here and we're not talking to the chief at the moment—I actually missed my last paycheck."

"He'll pay you as soon as we get back. No matter how bad things are between us, he always comes through," Brook said.

"Yeah... but the thing is, I'm not sure I can trust him anymore," Payton said.

"Trust who?" Jett asked as he and Reece entered the room.

"The chief," Brook replied.

"Yeah, what exactly happened with him?" Reece asked curiously. Brook told them briefly about Michelle's parents and what Soriano had been keeping from them.

"Shut up, so Michelle's parents were Night Blazers too?!" Jett asked with bulging eyes.

"Figures. No wonder she's just as car crazy as the rest of us," Reece commented with a smile.

"Poor girl, she's been carrying that around on her shoulders and we've all been acting like we didn't know?" Jett said, slapping his forehead.

"It's not your fault. We hadn't found the right moment to tell you guys," Brook said. "And it's better for Michelle that you didn't treat her any different because of this. I know she wouldn't have it any other way."

"Yeah, but we should've known anyway. We'd have been a bit more sensitive to her situation. That must've been a lot to process," Reece said, contemplatively.

"Finding out isn't the point. The point is, the chief lied to us again. I'm getting sick of it," Payton said in disgust.

"I'm sure he was just trying to protect you and Michelle," Jett said to Brook kindly.

"We didn't need that kind of protection, we needed the truth," Brook said with a frown. Jett nodded, knowing that was justifiable too.

"How did Michelle take it?" Reece asked.

"It came as a shock, naturally. She never even knew who her parents were..." Brook trailed off, his heart aching for her.

"And with her birthday coming up, I bet she feels even worse now that she knows about her parents," Jett said with a bummed look. "Talk about bad timing."