Bonus Chapter: Covert Operations

Paige looked from left to right as sharply as an eagle turns its head to survey its surroundings; she was seated in her Corvette, making sure she wasn't being followed. Not feeling satisfied, she checked her mirrors once more, and seeing her car as the only one on the dusty desert road outside the city, she drove on.

She came upon a lone little rinky-dink pub with a weathered board in front with the words 'Pioneer's Pub' painted on it. It even looked like it could have been built in the Pioneers' time, its walls were of aged wood and its architecture exhibited styles from an old west film. Paige parked her car, got out, made sure it was locked, and went inside – only pausing for a moment to count the number of vehicles parked outside the pub. She counted three cars and a handful of bikes. Her eyes narrowed. She didn't like the fact that her meeting wouldn't be private.

She made her way to the bar table, ignoring the other patrons. This was one time she did not want attention. She ordered a tequila but only sipped it once and set it down.

"Do you always make it obvious like you're waiting for someone?" A low but clear voice spoke beside her. Paige raised her head slightly and saw the calculative green eyes of Jada Alvarez sizing her up.

"Took you long enough. You don't exactly rattle when you make an entrance." Paige shot back with a sly smile. Jada's fists clenched momentarily.

"What do you want, Manes?" Jada asked, her voice leaking a little hostility.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" Paige returned, keeping her tone cool.

"Hardly. You're the one who asked to meet with me."

"And you're the one who was expecting this. If you ask me, you have more to lose by dissolving this affiliation. But suit yourself." Paige got up to go, but Jada grabbed her wrist in one smooth movement, so fast that no one would've seen it coming.

"You gamble as well as you insult people, Manes. I'll give you that." Jada got up. "Follow me to the back room." Paige let her go first, passing through the crowded tables without making eye contact with anyone. Jada led her to a private room with thread-bare couches and a rickety table in the center. They took their seats opposite each other.

"Nice place you picked for a meeting – didn't think your standards dropped this low," Paige commented with a disgusted look around the room. "You used to live for money."

"Please, I picked neutral ground for your benefit. I can't send Soriano's lapdog running off when there's a prospect of money involved." Jada said smoothly. Now it was Paige's turn to scowl.

"I'm surprised he's not doing this himself – I suppose he's too afraid to do the dirty work and so he sends you." Jada continued.

"Keep talking and you might just need a new set of teeth," Paige growled, her fists itching to punch her. Jada waved a lazy hand.

"I'm not interested in a street brawl, Manes. What I do want to know is why you're here alone this fine afternoon and not with your crew." Paige folded her arms and retreated into herself. Jada's eyes narrowed as she noticed the shift in Paige's posture.

"They don't know you're here, do they?" she guessed.

"They do," Paige said roughly. Jada interlaced her fingers over her bare knees, thinking hard.

"Then they don't know why you're here. At least, the real reason." Paige kept silent, not giving away anything. Jada smirked, knowing she hit the target.

"Going behind your crew's back, Manes? I didn't think you had it in you."

"It's for their own good. I'm sure you know what that's like." Paige said carefully.