Chapter 17 Outnumbered

Payton arrived in record time at the dealership, having been able to avoid the traffic-ridden routes due to his expert knowledge of the roads. He turned off his headlights when he saw a large van parked in front of the dealership. His expression became hard.

"That can't be good." He got out of the car and looked through the glass walls of the dealership. The interior was in pitch darkness but he could see multiple figures moving around on the ground floor. He noticed that the front door had been broken through and shattered glass lay around the ground.

"This could get messy," he said to himself. He went to the trunk of his car and took out a crowbar and a gun. He hid the gun in the inner pocket of his jacket. He was relieved to have come alone; at least he didn't have to worry about the chief getting in harm's way or putting anyone else in danger. Steeling himself, he walked inside.

"Trash everything, we have a few minutes since the cops won't come," Payton heard a male voice say.

"What about the message?" Some other voice asked.

"Get that done quickly." Payton guessed there must be two or three men. No one saw him; he sidled silently in the dark to where the light switch was - fortunately, he knew the place by heart. He flipped it on, startling the men.

"Hey. I'm here to crash your party. Don't you know vandalism is a crime?" He asked sarcastically. He quickly scanned the dealership - half of Soriano's prized possessions were already in crumpled messes. He stared at the men standing around. They all looked brawny, unshaven, and rough-faced and had a strange tattoo on their necks - something that looked like fangs or flames, Payton wasn't sure which. One of the men scowled at him.

"Well, well, if it ain't one o' them Night Blazers. All alone, too." Payton's eyes narrowed at the fact that they knew him, they weren't here by coincidence.

"I'm 'onna have a field day with this 'un," another man sneered menacingly. Payton quickly counted the men standing around the half-smashed cars and swore.

"Shit, there are six of you." The men raised crowbars and started to gang up around him.

"And only one of you. Looks like you won't be leaving her alive," the first man cackled before they all pounced on him at once. Payton fought with spirit and used minimum effort, using his opponents' brute strength against them. They seemed too focused on trying to deal heavy blows to him so he made them lose their aim and punch each other instead of himself by dodging their fists.

"C'mere you," one of the men cussed at Payton, "kid!" He pulled out a chain and roped Payton's legs before yanking, bringing him down to the floor with a groan.

"Not so tough when you're not on your feet!" The first man mocked him ruthlessly. They began to kick Payton unmercifully, a few of them even hammering him with the metal rods they were armed with. Payton tried to get back on his feet but his strength was failing. He received cuts and was bleeding in several places and pain began to wrack his body as the men continued to pound him. He began to feel he might really not leave the dealership alive.

 He began to feel he might really not leave the dealership alive