Chapter 34 Missing in Action

"So? What did Jett say?" Payton asked Brook, hanging on the open door of his Bugatti

"So? What did Jett say?" Payton asked Brook, hanging on the open door of his Bugatti. They were parked near the Stetson tunnel and had just finished looking around without having found any leads.

"I got cut off. But before I did, it sounded like Jett said Michelle found a way to track the chief," Brook said, his face furrowed in puzzlement.

"Michelle did? That's odd," Reece said, coming near. "Well, call 'em back, find out what happened." Brook did so, connecting his radio to Jett's. When Jett finally answered, he sounded breathless and bothered.

"Jett, what happened?"

"Your girlfriend's what happened!" Jett griped. "She's gone totally nuts!" Brook tensed up at those words.

"What? What do you mean? Jett, you're not making any sense!"

"He's right, Brook, you'll never believe what Michelle just did!" Paige said angrily. "Jett just filled us in. Apparently, chief had a cozy chat with Michelle last night and gave her clues to track him."

"What? What kind of clues?" Payton asked in surprise.

"The kind that Jett would've had no problem tracking until Michelle stepped in!" Paige made an angry noise in her throat. "Jett had these one-of-a-kind tiny trackers with a remote to track them—"

"The nano-trackers?" Reece asked at once. "What about them?"

"Michelle said she saw the chief take one last night but didn't figure out what it was until now," Paige went on angrily, "it looks like the chief wanted us to have a way to track him—"

"Then why haven't you tracked him and sent me his coordinates by now?" Brook cut her off impatiently. "And what's all this about Michelle?"

"That's what I'm tryna tell you, idiot!" Paige yelled. "Michelle grabbed the tracker remote and split the joint with Holden of all people!" Brook nearly spluttered in shock at that.

"Wha—what?! Why?!"

"She didn't want you guys to go after the chief! Hell, that girl is not making any sense!" Paige groaned irritably. Brook began to pant as anxiety knotted his stomach. Anxiety about Michelle.

"Why would she do that?!" Payton asked impatiently. "She just ruined our one chance of locating the chief! And... why the hell would she leave with Holden? If he's playing us for fools, she could be in danger!" His words made Brook clench his steering wheel in consternation.

"Locating them is not an issue," Reece said calmly, "if she took her car, it's bugged. And Holden's wearing our ankle bracelet tracker—"

"Jett, I need you to track Michelle's car immediately!" Brook said urgently, catching Reece's clue.

"Ooh! Good idea!" Jett exclaimed. "And... got her! They're already five miles and climbing from here."

"We're going after them too!" Paige interjected.