Chapter 16 Nevada Nitrous Circuit

The track where the first stage of the Nevada Nitrous Circuit race was to take place was packed

The track where the first stage of the Nevada Nitrous Circuit race was to take place was packed. Cars of every kind could be found lining up along the starting line and the stands and pits were equally crowded with people. A big banner with the words 'Nevada Nitrous Circuit' was strung above the stands. The air was saturated with feverish excitement and the spirit of competition was high.

"Gee willikers, this is gonna be one humdinger of a race!" Jett said in a fake southern accent.

"Can you not do that?" Paige said with a squeamish look. He grinned.

"You've been teasing me and Reece nonstop since you got back, I think I'm entitled – hey!" Jett jumped out of the way as Paige aimed a punch at his gut.

"Missed me!" He said cheekily. Paige rolled her eyes and turned to Payton, who was standing silently leaning against the railing with his arms folded.

"Penny for your thoughts?" She asked. He gave a wan smile.

"Just keeping an eye out," he said.

"For what?"

"Don't know. Could be anything. Can't shake this feeling that something bad is gonna happen." Paige's expression turned serious and she pulled him aside.

"Payton, I know you're still upset about what I told you—"

"About today? No, that's not what's bothering me at all," he said, shaking his head. "I told you I trusted you on things, Paige. I don't go back on my word."

"Then what's bothering you? Are you worried about—" Paige whispered a name very quietly, "finding us here?"

"While that is a possibility, no. You said his last whereabouts were still centered in Vegas, right?"

"Yeah."

"It'll take a while for him to track us up here. I'm only afraid that word will get around in these parts that we're showing our faces at the NNC. That might draw his attention to us."

"And that bothers you?"

"Partly."

"What else?"

"It's something that happened two days ago..." Payton's brow creased in thought as he turned to Paige, "You know how when things happen, they seem to happen all at once?"

"Yeah, too well," Paige said darkly.

"First Ross crops up, then this shit with Zhang, and then..."

"Then?" Paige waited on tenterhooks for him to speak.

"A guy showed up at the dealership a couple days ago," Payton finally replied, "looked like a customer. But something felt way off about him, he looked familiar. I can't stop thinking..." He stopped on seeing Trish, Jada, and Austin approach and Paige turned to them.

"Race starts in fifteen. Where's Brook?" Trish asked bluntly. Paige snorted and glanced over her shoulder.

"Getting his good luck kiss," she replied. Trish turned and saw Brook wrapped in Michelle's arms near his car, broad smiles on their faces and she scowled.