Chapter 17: ~*Bro idk anymore*~

*NOT PROOFREAD*
~*//////////////////////*~

Vera stood her brother, who was staring down at his hands in boredom, as they listened to Weems' speech. She stared over at the Addams girl with a look of disdain on her face. They had been ignoring one another since the awkward car conversation.

"Nevermore was created as a safe haven for out children to learn and to grow, no matter who or what they are. I realize most of you have heard about the unfortunate incident invol..."

"Is she talking about the attack you told me about?" Devon muttered to Vera.

Vera nodded before muttering something incoherent.

"What?" Devon questioned, fully turning towards her.

"Nothing." Vera responded quickly. "Pay attention to whatever she's talking about." She seemed to be in an off mood.

"So lets focus on the positive and make this parents weekend our very best yet."

"This sucks." Devon groaned as they began to walk slowly.

"What does?" Vera asked, looking around at the families together.

"You know what I mean..." Devon muttered. "This whole thing sucks."

Vera turned to Devon with a frown, fixing his hair and his tie. Even though it wasn't that important of a day she had him wear a dress shirt and tie to seem presentable.

"I know it sucks, but you have me. Also be grateful you're even allowed to attend this weekend by yourself. Last time you had to have that stuffy case worker with you."

Devon cracked a smile. "She was the worst! God she sounded awful."

"And she ate like a slob. Now please be on your best behavior while we sit with Amelie and her mom." Vera made a face.

"But!"

"No buts."

Devon huffed and rolled his eyes. "That's why you don't have a butt."

Vera laughed a little as she led Devon to where Amelie and her mother stood talking to some other people. "You are so immature."

"Hey Vera, Dev!" Amelie greeted the two excitedly. Her mother glanced at the two before turning back to the people she was talking to.

"Hey Ames's!" Devon hugged the girl quickly. "Is it just me or are you getting shorter?"

"Hey Ame, it's still alright for me and Dev to sit with you guys later right?" Vera questioned.

Amelie nodded before tapping her mother who brushed her hand off and turned to face the three.

"Nice to see you Ms.Vernon." Devon and Vera spoke in unison, a strained look on their faces.

Ms.Vernon nodded curtly at the two, eyeing Devon over the top of her shades judgmentally. "As it is to see you."

~*//////////////////////*~

After the strained greeting with Amelie's mother Vera and Devon had greeted some of Vera's other friends and their parents before upstairs to Vera's dorm. The two had spent most of their extra time inside of the room, even though they had already spent all morning in there. They played games, talked, watched TV, and ate a bunch of junk food for most of the time. After awhile it got boring and Vera decided they should go back downstairs and interact with others before it was time for lunch.

~*//////////////////////*~

Conversation was slow at first but as Amelie's mother paid less and less attention to the three the more they began to talk. Every now and then Vera would glance in the direction of Wednesday and her family, studying them quietly. She had been ignoring the girl since they'd arrived back to the school early that morning.

At one point she made and held eye contact with, who she obviously assumed, was Wednesday's mother. It lasted for only a second as Vera made eye contact with Wednesday who seemed to have been already staring at her. The two held eye contact for what seemed like an eternity before Vera's face flushed red and she turned away, almost like she was backing down from a metaphorical challenge.

"What was that about?" Devon questioned her, waving his fork at her face.

"Huh?" Vera ate a mouthful of food as her face flushed again.

"Ohh she didn't tell you?" Amelie smirked at Vera whose face fell before turning to Devon.

"Tell me what?" Devin asked, obviously intrigued.

"Well basically she-" Amelie got cut off by the sudden opening of a set of doors.

As the sheriff and other cops walked into the area it fell silent as everyone watched him walk across the quad. Vera dropped her fork, her body tensing as she watched the sheriff make a beeline for the table where Wednesday and her family sat. Besides for the small murmurs here and there the quad had fallen into dead silence, every family watching and listening intently.

"Gomez Addams" The sheriff spoke loudly, his eyes trained directly on the man.

"How can I help you, Sheriff?" Wednesday's father, Gomez, who hadn't turned around once stood up and faced the sheriff who was still walking towards him.

"You're under arrest for the murder of Garrett Gates. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

The sheriff cuffed Gomez and began to lead him out of the quad. An unreadable look settled on Gomez's face. Vera looked over to Wednesday with widened eyes.

"Dad?" Wednesday's brother spoke meekly, his voice quiet among the gossiping murmurs.

"You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you."

After the sheriff left all eyes were on the Addams family, some concerned, some judgmental. Wednesday's mother seemed to be staring down at the table in shock while her brother seemed confused. As for Wednesday, Vera watched the look on her face go from shocked to what looked like her natural nonchalant look, but Vera could see the gears turning in her head. She was planning something.

~*//////////////////////*~

I know I keep posting on my conversation board about how I'm trying to write chapters and I truly am, but so much has happened in my life it just sort of took my attention off the book to the point where I've lost most of my motivation to write it. I'm not saying I'm discontinuing the book, but that the chapters might not be posted as quickly as they used to be.