Chapter 9

Violet walked around Target for what felt like forever, Bucky following her every move without complaint. She bought a few new blankets for the couch in the common room, several packs of fuzzy socks and a few plants for her apartment.

"I'm gonna try this sweater on." Violet said happily when she saw a light beige colored sweater on the rack.

"I'll watch your cart." Bucky promised. Violet rushed into the dressing room to try it on. It looked knitted and like it was an X across her body, leaving the top of her chest and her shoulders exposed but covering the rest of her and hanging down to her hips.

"She's cute ain't she?" Bucky heard a voice say and spun around to see a tallish man standing next to him, Bucky still towered over him in height and physique though.

"Excuse me?" Bucky asked.

"Violet, she's cute, isn't she?" The man asked.

"Yeah, she is. And how do you know her?" Bucky asked.

"Oh, Taylor let me hit it a couple times, too." The man said with a grin.

"What did you just say?" Bucky asked, he didn't like the assumption he was making about this man, he didn't say Violet let him get with her and it made him uneasy.

"Hey, Bucky? What do you think -" Violet started to say when she walked out of the dressing room in the sweater, she wasn't sure if she liked it, she wanted his opinion. The look of shock and fear on Violet's face answered everything Bucky needed to know about the guy next to him. She quickly spun around and went back in the dressing room without another word.

"Get out of my sight." Bucky demanded to the man.

"What? Man were all friends here." The man said with a quick laugh.

"The second time I have to tell you I'm dragging a dead body out of this store." Bucky said sternly through gritted teeth. The man stared in shock for a moment before abandoning his cart and leaving. Bucky sighed heavily and moved to lightly knock on her dressing room door.

"That sweater looks great on you, please pick it up." Bucky said through the door, he wasn't sure what else to say but he wasn't going to force her to talk about anything.

"He's gone, doll." Bucky said after a moment of silence. Violet came out a moment later, clutching the sweater in her hands but back to wearing her own and Nat's jacket. She put the sweater in the cart without a word.

"Are you ready to go home?" Bucky asked, putting his hand between her shoulder blades. Violet nodded but didn't look up or say anything. He gave Violet back the cart and followed her silently to checkout, paying for everything before she had the chance. She held tightly onto his arm through the parking lot again until they reached his car. "I've got the bags, go get warmed up." He promised her.

Bucky quickly loaded up the bags and joined Violet in the car, it was already warmed up with the heat blasting. Violet had her arms tightly across her chest. He didn't know what to say, or if he should say anything, he just stared at her for a moment in hopes she'd want to say something. Violet just kept her eyes in her lap, so Bucky drove off towards the compound.

"Please say something." Bucky said softly after driving in silence for several minutes.

"Can we stop for lunch? I missed breakfast." She said quietly.

"Of course, wherever you want." Bucky promised her. She finally looked up to see where they were so she could pick somewhere close by. She chose Chipotle since it was only one stoplight over from where they were.

Violet got a burrito with white rice, sofritas, fajita vegetables, corn salsa, hot salsa and more lettuce than Bucky had ever seen put into a burrito. Bucky also got the sofritas, he wasn't sure how against meat Violet was so he figured he'd play it safe, but he did get cheese.