Chapter 21

I went back and forth on whether I should leave before Sarah woke up. In the end I decided to surprise her with breakfast in the morning. I know she was disappointed with my behavior last night, but I still stand firm on the fact that I did nothing wrong. I think over what happened last night while I look in the cabinets full of pots and pans and grab what I need. I look in the fridge and see that I only have bacon and eggs to work with. I grab those two things out of the fridge and turn on the stove. While the bacon is frying, I pull out my phone and check my Instagram. I look back on my story at the pictures I posted of me and Sarah last night. We ate them outfits up to be real. I smile and set my phone on the counter. I flip the bacon over and hear footsteps in the kitchen.

I turn and see Rafe sitting on the island behind me. All I wanted was to surprise my best friend with breakfast in bed and instead I get this bullshit. I try to ignore his presence as best I can. Why is he always popping up at random?

"It's sweet of you to make me breakfast, Kie." I glare at him before turning my attention back to the food. I remove the bacon from the skillet before starting on the eggs. I see a hand reaching for the bacon and quickly smack it.

"This food is not for you. You can starve for all I care." I move the plate out of his reach and resume the eggs.

"What crawled up your ass this morning, damn." He leans his hip on the counter next to me and watches me cook.

I plate our food and get orange juice from the fridge. I pour two glasses and finally meet his eyes. "Make yourself useful and go wake up Sarah." He continues looking at me for a couple of minutes before finally disappearing upstairs.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and turned back to the skillet of eggs. I quickly turn off the stove and portion the eggs so Sarah gets most of them. I don't like groveling, but this is an apology breakfast. As much as I don't like what Sarah told me last night, she does have a point. If JJ saw how I was acting last night with Cam he would go crazy, and believe me, no one wants to see him that way. I miss J like crazy, but he said we're on a break right now and it was nice getting the attention he usually shows me from someone else. Fuck. I wish love wasn't so complicated.

"Rafe said you made breakfast?" I turn around to see Sarah walking down the stairs with her hair in a messy bun and rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. I think it's safe to assume that she hasn't brushed her teeth yet.

"Yes, this is my apology for giving you a hard time last night. I'm sorry. I know you were just looking out for me like a best friend should." I give her a small smile and set our plates down on the table. "Go on and eat before it gets cold." I gesture towards the food before taking a seat and digging in.

We eat in silence for a few minutes. I was going to say something but she beats me to it. "You're not going to meet up with that guy from last night, are you?"

I briefly meet her eyes while taking a bite of bacon and suddenly find myself staring at my plate. After I've swallowed, I look at her again. She's stopped eating now and has her chin propped on her hand patiently awaiting my response.

"I was thinking about it, but I don't think I will since you clearly don't think it's a good idea." I clear my throat and get up to place my dish in the sink. I turn back towards her with my arms crossed leaning back against the sink. "Look Sarah, I appreciate your concern and being here for me when all the JJ stuff went down but we technically aren't together right now. This is his doing not mine. If it was up to me, we wouldn't even be in this predicament right now. I can have friends... friends that are guys. If I want to hang out with Cam then I will. I don't need you breathing down my neck about it, okay?" I run my hand quickly through my hair and sit down in front of her. "JJ hasn't gotten back to me since everything happened and I'm just feeling really abandoned right now. I don't know what to do or how to fix this. He's so convinced that I'm better off without him, and he won't listen to what I have to say about it."