Chapter 2

Now, this isn't the first time I've seen JJ. We go to the same school and have for years but he tends to skip a lot. I've heard that his dad has a drinking problem, so he has an after-school job to help keep them afloat. It looks like he's come straight from work judging by the uniform and grease stains all over it. He catches me staring and shoots me a smirk before walking over to John B at the front counter. His hair is all disheveled like he's just run his fingers through it continuously. It looks good on him though.

"Yo Kie, are you even listening to me?" Pope breaks my trance.

"Sorry, uh, what were you saying?" I give him an apologetic smile.

"What are these new experiences you were going on about earlier?"

"You're going to hate me, but let's go to a party this weekend. Before you say no, I just want to remind you that you said you always have fun with me. I'll make it fun for you, okay?"

He stares at me for a few minutes. I reach over and grab his hand, "Please Pope? You might surprise yourself and have fun."

"For the record, I'm only saying yes because I can never resist when you beg."

I smile. "I know, I've spent years perfecting the look. Just for you."

John B decides to bring out our food out that next moment. "Here you go guys, enjoy."

"Thank you, John B." I say just as he turns and leaves. I glance up at the front to see JJ and John B now talking animatedly about something. I look away and slip a fry into my mouth.

"Hey Pope?"

"Yeah?" he looks at me after taking a bite of his burger

"What do you know about JJ Maybank?"

He stills for a second. "Where is this coming from?"

"I'm just curious, he's missed a lot of school lately."

"Okay, why do you care?"

"Pope, please just humor me." I fight the urge to roll my eyes.

"Um, I don't know much about him. He works a lot now since you know his dad is an alcoholic."

"Him and John B have always been close. At least he has someone who cares about him." I admit then take the opportunity to glance in his direction again and mortified to find him already looking my way. I immediately tear my eyes away and hope I succeeded in hiding my blush. He probably thinks I have a staring problem now, God. I take a bite of my chicken strip and flush it down with some lemonade.

"Why the interest in JJ all of a sudden?" Pope breaks the silence.

"I'm just curious that's all. You afraid I'm going to go find a new guy best friend?" I tease.

"It's way too late for that Carrera. You're stuck with me for life." He adds before taking another bite of his burger.

"I wouldn't dare get rid of you. You're irreplaceable." I smile and he returns it.

We finish eating and he pays the bill. I leave John B a "nice" tip. I would leave more but I haven't picked up a shift in a while so my funds are running a little low. I head to the bathroom before we leave, and I see JJ glance at me. I smile to myself as I reach the bathroom. I pee and then wash my hands while I look at myself in the mirror. Since I'm the only one in here, I take a couple mirror selfies. I decide to post one on my Instagram story while I make my way out. I'm looking down at my phone as I bump into a hard chest, "I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention." I quickly blurt out.