Chapter 8

It's been a couple of weeks since I had my date with JJ. We've been texting a lot more and he calls me on his break sometimes. Our phone calls have quickly become my favorite part of the day. I've been spending a lot more time with Pope, even though we are together every day anyway, because I feel bad for lying to him. I finally convinced Pope to teach me how to surf so that is the plan for today. It later occurred to me that it would have been cute if JJ taught me instead, but it is what it is. After I put on my leopard print bikini, I take some mirror selfies and post a few of them on my Instagram. I know it doesn't matter but I wonder what JJ's reaction will be. I lay my phone on my bed and throw on some denim shorts and a red tank top. I hastily throw my hair in a bun as always because I don't want to deal with it.

I make sure that I have everything in my beach bag before I run outside to Pope's truck. "What took you so long?" he questions while pulling onto the road.

"Sorry, I had to take a few selfies to post on Instagram." I take out my phone and open Instagram pleased to see that JJ has liked my post. I smile and put my phone back in my bag. "You know that selfies boost your confidence."

"You never struck me as a girl that has low confidence." He turns to look at me briefly.

"That's because I don't. But you know when you look good you feel good and that leads to a bunch of selfies."

"I feel like I rarely take selfies." He says flatly.

"Yeah, if it wasn't for me, we would have like no pictures together. But don't worry we're going to have a whole photoshoot after my surfing lesson." I shoot a smile in his direction.

"I can't wait." He says with mock enthusiasm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The surfing lesson wasn't a success, but not exactly a failure. Pope was patient at first but then towards the end he started getting frustrated that I wasn't catching on as quickly as he wanted me to. If I do ever attempt to surf again, it won't be with him. The photoshoot afterward made it worth coming here and doing all this. We're both sitting on a towel, facing the ocean. "You know you're a terrible teacher." I announce looking at him.

"Maybe you're just a bad student." He counters meeting my eye.

I laugh. "Maybe, but you weren't making it any better. I'll have a different teacher next time."

"I don't think anyone will have the patience to deal with you."

I push his arm. "Whatever, don't be rude."

"I'm joking Kie." He puts his arm around me. "Don't be so butt hurt about it."

I look over at him. "We did get some good pictures today though. That's all I care about."

"I think I've taken enough pictures to last me the rest of the year." He declares not meeting my eyes.

"As long as I'm your photographer, that won't be the case. Plus, we must document these moments for memories. Ooh, should I take up scrapbooking?"

He gives me a weird look. "We're 16, not 60."

"Fine, I'll settle for a picture wall then in my room. It'll probably mostly be us on there."