Chapter 14

I put out the blunt once I'm done smoking and gather the supplies before I head back up to my room. After putting everything back in my drawer, I lay down in my bed and fall asleep with no problems.

When I wake up, I grab my phone and see that it's almost one in the afternoon. Still no response from JJ so I decide to take a shower to clear my head. I don't take that much time in the shower and change into some shorts and another one of Pope's old t-shirts. I'm a little hungry so I go downstairs to make myself something to eat. When I'm about to flip the burger that's cooking, I hear my phone ding. I quickly check it and see that he finally responded to my text.

JJ

That doesn't sound good. I'll be over as soon as I'm off work and showered.

Kie

Okay.

I check the burger to make sure it's not burnt and let it cook for a little longer. I place the patty on a bun and dress it up with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise. I grab a water bottle out the fridge before sitting down at the kitchen table. While I'm taking the first bite of my burger, I think about what I'm going to tell J. I'm really bothered that I let Pope doubt what me and JJ have. As much as I want to believe that he would never hurt me, you just never know. I'd rather know the truth now than him breaking things off with me later. I guess it's too late for us to part ways unattached and unbothered if he decides that he doesn't want to be with me. I know I can't speak for him, but I know he cares about me. I just don't know if he's as down bad as I am. That's the real question.

I wash down the last few bites of my burger with some water. A couple minutes later after I'm finished washing my plate, I get a text from JJ saying he'll be here soon. Now the nerves have started to set in. I have no idea how this is going to go and that worries me. Pope already hates me; I can't have J walk out on me too. I go inside the living room and plop down on the couch. I turn on the tv and just flip through some channels attempting to find something worth paying attention to. I give up on finding something to watch and end up turning the tv off completely. I lay down on the couch with my back facing the tv.

I lay there with my eyes closed trying, desperately, to calm myself. I don't even know why I'm psyching myself out. I know people say it helps to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, but that is doing nothing for me at the moment. I'm granted a slight reprieve from my thoughts when I hear the doorbell ring. Oh shit. I'm not prepared for this.

I drag my body away from the couch and walk to the front door. I take a deep breath and open the door. Seeing him eases my nerves slightly. His blonde hair is disheveled as usual and he's sporting some grey sweats with a worn red t-shirt. I can't even make out the words on the shirt anymore. That's how worn it is. I finally look into his eyes and cave. I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him into a hug. I hold him tight to me. I don't know if this is the last time I'll be able to do this so I cherish it as much as I can. He slowly returns the hug.

"What's wrong Kie?" I hear him say next to my ear.

I don't answer him. I just pull away and sit back down on the couch in the living room. He closes the door and sits down right next to me. I put some space between us, not because I don't want to be close to him, but because I'm scared I won't be able to say what I really want to say with him so close to me. He furrows his brow once he sees me scoot away from him. I don't mean to hurt his feelings, but it's necessary right now.

I make myself comfortable with my back resting against the arm of the couch with my legs crossed. JJ is sitting at the other end of the couch with his body slightly angled towards me. I don't know where to start so I just take a deep breath and hope that everything comes out right.