19. The Basketball Game

Start from the beginning

One friend might not put the same effort in or there's some kinda drama that you have to pick a side on. But every once in a while--just maybe--you'll find friends that just make sense.

Friends that might fit with you better than any spouse.

"So, is Justice gonna be at the game?" Divine nudged me with a knowing smile.

"The better question is if Jabari is gonna be at the game." Olivia interjected, nudging me equally as hard as Divine.

"Alright! Stop abusing me with your shoulders! As far as I know, they both should be there. It's a big game." I shrugged and acted as if that information didn't have my blood pressure through the roof.

"Both of them?" Olivia questioned, clear disappointment in her voice. "Hyacinthe, tell me you chose one already."

I opened my mouth to defend myself, and tell them that I had actually chosen, but Divine cut me off.

"Okay and? Last time I checked, Chris was your sole focus."

"And what have you been up to Divine?" Olivia questioned in retaliation.

"Doesn't the sky look nice tonight, y'all?" I ask, hoping to defuse the growing tension between them.

Thankfully, it managed to work, and we all burst into laughter. I was counting my blessings that we were starting to walk into the arena at that moment, and all the noise should make it harder for them to argue.

But as it turns out, the entire problem was eliminated soon as Olivia caught sight of Chris.

He seemed to be waiting for us to arrive and smiled in greeting.

"Hey, Hyacinthe... Divine." His voice turned flat as he said Divine's name. The tone matched the look she was giving him.

"Chris." She responded, sass poised at the ready.

"And there's my baby." Chris directed his attention to Olivia, and I released her for them to kiss and hug.

We walked over to the door for the student section to give them privacy while we waited for our third musketeer.

"How much you want to bet that she's bout to leave us to go fuck him?" I sighed at Divine's bet, knowing it was false hope that Olivia would stick with us.

It's not that we didn't all want to be with our men sometimes, when we had them, of course. It's just that it had been so long since we all hung out, and Olivia had spent most, if not all, break with Chris.

Breaking up and making up and whatever they seem to do in between.

"I don't gamble for a reason, D." I respond, frowning as Olivia smiles and nods to something Chris says before heading towards us.

"Okay, don't be mad at me guys, but I'll be back by halftime. I gotta see a man about a horse." She laughed breathlessly, no doubt in her mind that this would be perfectly fine.

"You sure you'll be back?" I asked just in time to stop the string of curses and well-deserved shade that Divine was ready to let fly.

"Yeah, I'll text you guys to find out where you're at." Olivia promised, already heading off to be with her man.

See what I mean? Friendships are hard.

"You got more patience than me, Hyacinthe." Divine muttered, and I shook my head with a smile while we headed in.

As we walked through the student section, we passed plenty of familiar faces, but they all started to blur together with the chaos of the game. Only, there was one person that I'd never miss in a crowd.