Chapter 14: Resentment

"4 hours." Geoff' voice was monotone into the phone. He was sitting alone in a Holiday Inn hotel room next to the airport.

"A four hour flight, that's not too bad..." Jack's voice responded from the other end. "What time does it leave?"

"11am..." Geoff picked at the pristine white comforter.

"I wish you would have stayed with Otto and Awsten." Jack sighed. "I'm worried about you. You know I'm gonna body check you when you get here, right?"

Geoff glanced in the mirror that was directly across from the big bed he was sitting on. His shirtless reflection stared back; blue eyes tired and judging his mistakes.

"That's not necessary, Jay..."

There was silence on the other end for a moment.

"... Already?"

Geoff's guilt spread from his heart to his fingers and toes. "I... I'm stressed and tired and..."

"Oh no, Sunshine..."

Geoff looked away from his reflection and back down to the comforter.

"Are you gonna sleep tonight?"

"I dunno, it's probably too late for me to take my pills, I'd sleep through my airport shuttle call..."

"Well, then Zack and I will pick you up at the airport tomorrow, okay?"

Geoff nodded. "I appreciate that, Jack, I'll text you my flight plan."

"Good." He hear Jack say something to Zack and then sigh. "Have you heard anything from Awsten?"

"No, but his phone is busted." Geoff replied quietly. "How are you doing, Jay? Are you okay?" He asked, trying to take the focus off himself.

"I'm... I'm okay, Zack is here." Geoff could hear the smallest smile in Jack's voice. His eyebrows rose.

"Do you still want to stay with me when I get home?"

"Uh, duh, you're not escaping my smothering love that easily." Jack replied.

Geoff let out a breathy chuckle. He looked back up at his reflection, his small smile fell. "I'm gonna try and get some sleep, Jack... I'll text you my flight plan in the morning."

"Promise? Text me when you wake up. Zacky and I will be waiting with open arms for you."

Geoff smiled and wished he was going home already.

Call waiting beeped in his ear.

Pulling the phone away, he saw Otto was calling him. He sighed.

"I gotta go, Jack, but I promise I'll text you."

"Okay babe, try and get some sleep, we'll see you tomorrow."

Geoff sighed and hit accept on Otto's call.

"Otto, I don't want to talk."

"Gee..."

Geoff's heart sunk. It was Awsten, and he was crying.

"C-come back, please? C-come back a-and let's fix this, I-I need you--"

"Awsten." Geof breathed, unable to find his full voice, he was trying to keep tears from burning his eyes. "I need time, I..." What excuse was there? "I just... I can't." He hung up before Awsten could say anymore.

He just... couldn't.

His call for his shuttle came sooner than he expected, but took longer than he wanted. He stayed up all night propped up against the headboard, his tired eyes were glazed, glued to the Discovery Channel all night, not absorbing a single amount of information from the programs. The hotel phone rang and startled him out of his zombie state.