26. Just a little Taste

Start from the beginning

I nod in agreement, admiring how he could be so passionate about as normal a thing as a sunset.

You could see it in his eyes when he talks about something he truly adores, it makes them glisten in the most beautiful shade of green, with only a few sparks of gold shining through.

I've never seen anything like it.

"Well, people are the same as sunsets, Elle," he continues, my attention now focused back on him. "You are the same as this beautiful sunset. You can't control it, just like you can't control yourself. And some days the orange on the corner might be a little bit harsher than on other days, but in the end, your true colours come through, and each day you will shine in a unique way. And just because today you don't shine as bright or in the same way as the day before, that doesn't make you any less beautiful."

He pauses for a second, his hand gently taking hold of mine to give it a light squeeze.

"What I'm really trying to say is, you don't have to try to soften up the orange on the corner."

A slight smile appears on my lips, as I feel the water rushing into my eyes.

"You don't have to try to control yourself. Just like you don't try and control a sunset. You watch in awe as it unfolds," he remarks, his hand giving mine another reassuring squeeze.

I wipe away the single tear that is now rolling down my cheek.

I've never met anyone that had such a way with words as Harry seems to do. He truly had the ability to not only make me feel so much better about myself but also make me believe that what he is telling me is the truth.

I don't have to try and soften up the orange on the corner.

In the end, it comes down to accepting my feelings and emotions and letting them unfold, rather than trying to push them away. It's what nature does too, as the sunset slowly unfolds in front of us, the pretty colours spreading across the sky and ocean.

I am brought back into reality, as Harry's words echo through the sweet spring air, "I watch you in awe, Elle."

"What do you mean by that?"

An amused sigh leaves his lips. "You still don't see it, right?"

"See what, Harry?" I whisper.

"How much you mean to me," he answers, breathing in deeply.

"I watch you in complete awe, Elle, because you seem to overcome every hardship that is put in your way. You're one of the strongest people I know and you don't even realize how strong you truly are. And I admire you for that, little flower."

A smile tugs on my lips, all while a sense of sadness overcomes me, "do you really think so?"

"I do."

I huff shyly. It feels good to hear something like this; especially coming from him. But I know that there are a lot of inner demons that he doesn't know about. And I don't know what he would think about me if he knew about them.

I watch as he leads his wineglass to his lips, the final moments of the sun lighting up the sky. As it slowly disappears behind the horizon, the colours fade, the darkness of the night pulling us in from all sides.

"Come on," Harry mumbles, as he tries to get up.

He reaches out, his hand getting a hold of mine to pull me up. "Let's go back inside, yeah?"

I follow him through the garden and the tall glass doors until we're back in the kitchen. The smell of cinnamon mixed with the sweet smell of the baked apples is filling up the room, my stomach now quite excited to try the pie.