💜 The Driver III

Start from the beginning

We. I needed to stop that way of thinking.

Mr Donnelly stepped out of the car, he took one look at me, ground his jaw and looked away.

"I'm sorry i kept you up so late."

A badly timed grin rose up to my cheeks, "You can keep me up as late as you want."

He shot me a glare but there was no real venom behind it and then looked up at his house. His face fell.

"I'm scared to go in." He admitted sadly and i felt my heart break, i knew there wasn't much I could do but I wanted to support him, show i was there for him. So i stepped close to his side, my hand tentatively enclosing around his and when he didn't pull away i squeezed it tightly.

Mr Donnelly's gaze shifted up to me in surprise and i just smiled. "It's going to be okay.  I'll see you in the morning yeah?"

He swallowed thickly and nodded, but it seemed his hand felt content in mine as he didn't pull away.

"You have my number. You can call me if you need anything. I'll come as soon as I can."

Dec squeezed my hand and it was physically painful to feel his grip loosen as his hand pulled free. He didn't say anything as he walked away, he didn't need to. He'd said enough with his eyes and i stuffed my hands in my pockets. Watching him go.

As he stepped into his house and closed the door behind him, i felt content to get out of the cold and climbed back into the car. Just to torture myself, i took one more look at his house, once again imagining myself in there with him, holding him close against my chest and asking him all about his day, a bath ready and there waiting for us. And once again I had to force my brain to stop. It was just too painful to imagine, to dream up a life I may never get to live.

I was on my drive home, speeding down the M25, only slowing down for speed cameras and the odd blue flashing light. It felt good to just drive for a bit, no music on, no sexy millionaire in the back of my car watching my every move. It was nice to just think. It was peaceful. Quiet.

That quiet was wrecked almost immediately when a call came through the coms on the car. There was a button on the steering wheel I pressed to answer, unsure who could be calling me so late.

"McPartlin speaking."

"Uhm 'ello?"

My eyes flashed from the road ahead to the name on the screen of my hands free. It was Declan's phone, but that wasn't Dec's voice. It was a child, it sounded like Timothy. He was the only boy with such a strange mash of accents.

"Timmy? Is that you?"

"Y-yeah." He sniffed and as soon as I heard a crash in the background, i was slowing down, tucking into the hard shoulder and sitting to attention.

"What's wrong kidda? What you doing on your dads phone?"

"I-I needs secuwity?"

I frowned, wracking my brain to figure out what it meant and then I realised, he was calling my work phone. That was the name on Mr Donnelly's phone. My companies name. AW Security.

"That's me kid. It's Ant remember? What's wrong are you okay? Are you in danger? Where's your dad?"

"D-dads fighting." He whimpered and cried, "t-they'we shouting and it's scawy."