eighteen

Victoria Donovan was confused. Her neck hurt and her mind felt scrambled, and not in the good way she remembered when she got high.

She pushed the food provided by the hospital around on her plate, not really hungry. She was bored.

Glancing over at Quinn she realised she hadn't even woken up when the nurse had brought the food in. Next thing she knew she was throwing the tub of jello at her with a smile.

Quinn stirred, mumbling to himself, "What the fuck?"

Victoria laughed, smiling at her, "Finally, you're awake!"

Quinn pulled herself up on the chair, "Hey. How are you feeling?"

Victoria was still smiling, so she continued, "You look better. I was worried before... You really had me freaked out with all that screaming."

"Wait, what are you talking about?" Victoria asked curiously, confusion evident on her face.

"You don't remember?" Quinn asked sceptically.

Victoria glanced around, that odd feeling returning, before saying, "I feel fine."

She hoped she sounded reassuring.

"Good... good," Quinn inhaled deeply, clearly confused. "Doctor said you could come home tomorrow."

Victoria was smiling again, and Quinn couldn't help but ask, "Vic, what attacked you in the woods?"

Victoria hesitated.

She glanced around the room, as if waiting for someone to appear and grab her again.

Breathing out slowly, she said, "An animal."

Quinn looked at her and she continued, "What else could it have been?"

Quinn didn't get to question her any further as Jeremy was entering the room.

"Hey," He breathed, relieved at the sight of Victoria sitting up and talking. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," Victoria smiled, as Quinn looked between the pair with a smile on her face.

Wherever Victoria Donovan was, Jeremy Gilbert was not far behind. The two had grown up together, they were best friends. Quinn had a sneaking suspicion they were more than just best friends. 

Sensing that they might want to be alone, Quinn stood up, "I... I'm gonna... I'm gonna go grab a hot chocolate."

She greeted Jeremy with a cheeky grin as she passed, "Hey, Jer."

"Why are you here?" Victoria asked. "Elena's gonna be mad."

"I just wanted to see how you were doing," Jeremy replied. "Elena doesn't get to tell me who I can and cannot see."

Victoria let a small smile paint her features. She'd never really had anyone fight to be her friend before.

Shuffling over on the small hospital bed, Victoria made room for Jeremy to sit with her. The next thing she knew, he'd slid under the covers and hugged her into his side.

"Ouch, careful, Jer." Victoria mumbled, hand moving up to her neck as the movement sent a twinge of pain across her body.

"Ah, shit, sorry!" Jeremy apologised, his eyes wide.

"S'okay," Victoria replied, her voice quiet. "Quinn's probably wondering why the hell you're here."

"We've been best friends since diapers, I don't think she cares." Jeremy retorted, rolling his eyes.