four

Thankfully, neither of Elena's parents brought up Elena's awkward 'fight' with Matt, choosing instead to talk about Jenna's pitiful attempts at Pictionary.

The mindless chatter had lulled Elena and Quinn into a drowsy state, so Quinn rested her head against the window tiredly. Elena leant over and rested her head against Quinn's shoulder, intertwining their fingers absentmindedly.

Elena's eyes were drifting closed when she felt the car swerve violently, causing Quinn's head to smash against the window it was resting against. The blow to her head knocked her temporarily unconscious.

A few minutes later, Quinn's eyes fluttered open and she tenderly lifted her hands to nurse her head, coughing violently.

She blinked repeatedly as she tried to focus on the commotion occurring in front of her.

"Dad?! Dad!" Elena yelled from beside her, her fingers still intertwined with Quinn's.

"We're going to be okay, I promise!" Grayson replied, but Elena's ears rang as she tried to make out what he was saying. 

Both girls were soon distracted by the car submerging further into the water.

Grayson Gilbert was trying to open the car door, but to no avail. He quickly changed tactics and tried to break the window open.

Quinn watched the movements sluggishly, her head pounding so hard it was difficult to concentrate.

Throughout the chaos Elena realised her mother hadn't moved at all.

Both girls cried out as her breaths became agonisingly painful and short, pulling each other closer for comfort.

Quinn struggled to keep her head above the rising water but soon ice-cold water flooded into her mouth, choking her.

Her throat and lungs burnt as her air supply ran out, causing her to fall unconscious.

Grayson turned around and grabbed his daughter's hands in his own, shaking his head.

There is no way out.

Elena's shoulders shook as she felt Quinn's grip on her hand loosen and begin to float in the water around them. She watched through burning eyes as her father mouthed 'I love you'.

She faintly recalled her mouth instinctively opening to reply, to take a breath of air, before the world around her faded into nothing.

Neither of them remember being saved.