Chapter 16

At the police department, Jill was thinking about the agreement she'd just made.

She was starting to have second thoughts about it.

"Sam? I'm gonna say this and you're gonna call me a coward" she said.

"Yeah?" said Sam.

"I'm just horrified to go on TV at Charles's command" said Jill.

"That ain't a coward thing to say because I'm horrified of how it's gonna end" said Sam.

"What? But you sounded pretty enthusiastic about it before" said Jill.

"I was, but the more I thought about it, the righter Calvin's words became. He said it was a risky move" said Sam.

"What risky? I've done it before. Didn't he know?" said Jill.

"Sure he does, but that didn't stop us" said Sam.

Jill sighed and hung her head.

"Jill, is there any way you could possibly feel less afraid?" said Sam.

Jill thought on it then answered slowly.

"Well... you're a very encouraging person, so... I suppose I'd feel braver if I had an encourager" said Jill.

"You'll be on the stage with Chad" said Sam.

"But he'd be concentrating on the performance. He never disappoints an audience" said Jill.

"Yeah, that does sound like Chad. He really never lets anything interfere with pleasing people" said Sam.

"But how would it be if you were my encourager?" said Jill.

"Me?"

"Yes. You could stand backstage and cheer me on" 

"But the audience might hear me" 

"Oh yes. Then why not form your own act?"

"My own act?"

"Why not?"

"Charles Wallace only asked for one act"

"Two wouldn't make a difference. Would it?" said Jill with worry.

"I dunno. I never asked him how the show works" said Sam.

"Well, why don't you" said Jill.

"Honey, I know you're anxious, but don't push me too hard" said Sam.

Jill took a deep breath. "I know. I'm sorry. But would you form an act? I honestly think you'd be really good."

"Maybe. But I can't go on alone. Charles Wallace said he needed groups" said Sam.

"Hmm. I suppose being on actual telly is different than karaoke nights" said Jill.

"Yeah, that's show business" said Sam.

Then she perked up and said "Could you say that one more time please?"

"Being on telly is different from karaoke?" said Jill.

"Jill Gibson, you're not only brave for agreeing to this. You're a genius!" said Sam.

Then she fled the police department and flew to Gotham City.