Chapter 13

The next day, while Sam was at work, Charles Wallace paid a visit to her office.

"Hey, Sam, is Jill in?" he said.

"Yeah, she's here" said Sam.

Charles Wallace approached Jill at her desk.

"Hey, Jill. Remember me? I'm Charles Wallace. Uh, Chad's brother-in-law" he said.

"Yes, I remember you, luv" Jill giggled.

"Luv? I like this lady already" said Charles Wallace.

Jill laughed again before he went on.

"I've come to ask you a favor. Sam told me you sang with Chad in Actorville last night" said Charles Wallace.

"Yes, I did" said Jill.

"And from what I heard, it was awesome. And Chad or Sam may have told you that I was applying for something"

"Yes, they did. How'd it go?"

"Perfectly. I'm actually asking you a favor to do my job"

"Oh really. What job is that?"

"I'm asking you if you'd agree to go on TV with Chad like you did a couple of years ago" said Charles Wallace.

Jill stiffened and let her smile drop after she heard the favor.

"Charles, I..." Jill began.

"Don't worry about it.I watched you make amends with Chad before. Appearing with him shouldn't be a problem" said Charles Wallace.

"It's not Chad that's stopping me. Remember when I told you I had stage fright last time I appeared with him?" said Jill.

"Uh-huh"

"Well, that stage fright still applies. When I sang with Chad in Actorville, I was scared to death" said Jill.

"I get that. I've done some things in the past that were pretty scary" said Charles Wallace.

"But you're fearless. How old are you?"

"Ten"

"There you are. You're ten and you're out chasing villains and all. I'd call that fearless" said Jill.

"Yeah, few understand how I always have to overcome my fears to do all that" said Charles Wallace.

"But you always make it look easy"

"But it's not"

"So it's not silly of me to be afraid?"

"Absolutely not!"

"Fear is natural? Even for a warrior?"

"It's practically the most natural thing in the universe" said Charles Wallace bluntly.

"In the universe? Why, that's rather..." Jill gasped.

"You have a lot to learn about me, Jill. So would you appear on my show with Chad? We're on in three days and we need a new singing group fast" said Charles Wallace.

"Can't you just get Jeremy to do it?" said Jill.

"I wanted to, but Sam insisted that you do it because of how well last night went" said Charles Wallace.

"Well... alright. I'll live in the moment for now" said Jill.

"Awesome! Thanks a million!" said Charles Wallace shaking her hand.