Chapter 14

Charles Wallace left the police department and ran into Chad on the way home.

"Hullo, Charles" said Chad with a smile.

"Oh hi, Chad! I got some good news!" said Charles Wallace.

"Yes?"

"I'm about to start making arrangements for you to appear on The Alan Brady Show" said Charles Wallace.

"Are you? Then I'm... guessing the application went well" said Chad.

"It sure did! I got the job and you're my first client" said Charles Wallace.

"Well, I'm glad I could help" said Chad with a tiny laugh.

"You and Jill both, brother" said Charles Wallace.

"Did you say Jill?" said Chad with shock.

"Yeah. I asked her about the job just now and she's up for it. Boy is this gonna be a hit!" said Charles Wallace.

"But Charles, Charles, Charles... what exactly do you want me to do with her?" said Chad.

"Sing of course. My boss asked for a singing group. And after that big performance in Actorville last night..." Charles Wallace began.

"What do you know about Jill singing with me in Actorville?" said Chad.

"A ton. Sam told me and Calvin all about it. She thought it'd be great if you and Jill appeared on another TV show like you did in the past" Charles Wallace explained.

"But what does Calvin think of the idea?"

"He thinks it's a bad one"

"I'm with him"

"Oh come on. Have I ever been wrong?" 

"No, but... Charles, do you have any idea how unhealthy it is for my love life?" said Chad.

"No, not really"

Chad led his brother-in-law to a nearby bench and had him sit down so they could have a talk.

"You want me to perform with my ex-wife. You're risking destroying my marriage with your sister" said Chad.

"Oh, please, Meg plays that record you and Jill made all the darn time. She'd be proud to see you on TV with her" said Charles Wallace.

"You really think so?"

"Sure! You don't really know until you try. And Jill already agreed to do this. Come on" Charles Wallace encouraged.

"Well... I suppose" said Chad reluctantly.