Chapter 40 -- The Foretell Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Alright," My voice comes in from the front door. Two little boys run into the living room towards Matthew. "We have company in a few minutes, you all need to clean up."

Matthew smiles, setting his guitar to the side. One of the boys looks six and the other three. I can't help but notice the age gap between the boys and girl. The youngest is the only one that doesn't have Matthew's eyes. I can already feel my instincts pull towards them. My wolf hammering in my head as we watch our pups.

Matthew leans down to kiss our three-year-old's head. He turns to our daughter, "Could you take Holden and Darcy to River's house? He said he'd babysit them tonight while the other Alpha's are here."

"Sure thing, Dad." She sets her drumsticks down, giving her hand to the six-year-old after picking up the youngest. "Goddess Darcy, you're getting heavy."

When she walks by me, she smiles. "I'll be right back, Mom. Make sure Dad doesn't eat all the chips."

As soon as she's out the door, Matthew walks over to me. He wraps his arms around my waist, pulling my body against his. Placing a small kiss against my lips before peppering my face. I let out a content laugh, his arms tightening. His purr vibrating through the air.

"Happy birthday, Matthew." I tell him gently.

He sighs contently, "Another beautiful year with you, gorgeous."

Swaying softly in each other's embrace, I can't help feel the longing. The love. I've had the chance to feel it in person, but now I'm getting to watch it in front of me. It feels so pure and untouched. I refuse to believe that anyone would think we're not mates.

"She's getting better at the drums," I finally say with a smile.

"Thank the Goddess," Matthew chuckles. "Remind me why we didn't decide to teach her the keyboards?"

There's a knock on the door but neither of us pulls away. I smile brightly, "Incidentally, I believe it's his fault. Not ours."

Hand-in-hand, Matthew and I go to the door. On the other side is King Aiden, smiling brightly as he holds up a bottle of wine. "A beautiful Merlot from the cellars of the Kingdom for the birthday boy."

I feel like a truck suddenly hits Aiden and I. This King—the one holding up a bottle of wine—is a stark difference to the one standing next to me. Domesticated King Aiden is wearing dress pants and a polo. Unlike his usual royal attire. My jaw drops at the sight.

"I see Juliet received my gift." King Aiden says as the three of us turn into the kitchen. His eyes landing on the drum set in the living room. He pulls out a set of drumsticks from his back pocket and glances around, "Where is my Goddaughter, anyways? I've a few new tricks I want to show her."

"She'll be back for dinner," I laugh softly as I maneuver around my kitchen to grab us a few snacks. "She's dropping the boys off."

"She's quite obsessed with the drums." Matthew's playful smirk emerging.

"Well, Adrian can't stop playing the electric guitar you got him." Aiden chuckles as he stands around our counter. He picks at some of the food that's left at the table, his eyes scanning between Matthew and I as my body sinks into Matthew's side while he lays his arm across my shoulder's.

"Where's the Queen?" I ask with a smile.

Aiden rolls his eyes, "Putting on some comfortable shoes. She couldn't bare wearing heels even through the car ride."

"You try wearing them." A scoff comes from the end of the room. "We have a whole dungeon of torture devices, you should add them to the list."

There's a woman standing in my kitchen—her face and body unable to be made out by the fog. Almost like it can't properly project the image of her. She's gray and her features move along with the fog. It feels like staring into an improper projector at the movie theater.