8 - A Depressing Start to the Summer

The end of year exams are approaching, and I just don't wanna. They suck, studying sucks, I'm tired. 

"Stop glaring at the book and actually read it," Remus says amusedly. We're studying together in the library, along with pretty much every other student in fifth, sixth and seventh year. 

"No, the words are evil," I respond. 

"Y/n, come on." 

"Studying sucks, I don't wanna." 

"Now you're starting to sound like James and Sirius," He says. 

"I'm starting to think they have a point. Studying is stupid and overly stressful." 

"Well that sounds like my cue to come kidnap you," James says, appearing behind me. Him, Peter and Sirius walk over, joining us at the table. 

"Yes, please do," I respond and he laughs, wrapping his arms around me from behind. 

"I was coming in here to kidnap you anyways," He says. "You've been studying all week, I've missed you." 

"You've still seen me," I point out. 

"Not enough," He argues with a pout. 

"Alright, fair enough, let's go," I say. 

I say goodbye to Remus as James takes my hand and we head out of the library. 

"So, what's the plan?" I ask James after a while of walking. 

"It's a surprise," He answers. 

"You're going to kill me so I don't have to study anymore?" 

"No." 

"But I'd really like that surprise." 

"But I really like you being alive, so no, I will not kill you." 

"Rude," I joke, playfully glaring at him. He just glares back and we both burst into laughter. 

I don't know how James always knows just what to do to make me relax. Just laughing with him has already made all the stress of studying wither away. 

I'm still confused as we walk outside. And then I'm even more confused when we start heading towards the quidditch pitch. 

"James, we've been over this, I'm not going to play quidditch with you," I say. 

"And we've been over this, I'll manage to get you to one day," He retorts. "But that's not why we're here." 

"Then what are we doing?" 

"I've told you, it's a surprise." 

I roll my eyes but cant seem to hide the smile on my face. 

We walk into the quidditch pitch and I see a picnic set up with a blanket and some food in the centre of the field. 

"It's the only place I could think of that we could be alone," James says, leading me over to the blanket. "I thought it's be nice to have a peaceful dinner, just the two of us, without being interrupted." 

"This is wonderful, James," I say, kissing his cheek. "Thank you." 

"You don't need to thank me," He responds. "I just want you to relax." 

"Well, I promise, I am already starting to relax." 

"Good." 

~*~*~ 

Over the next few weeks, I either spend my time studying or with James or even sometimes studying with James - though James has the shortest attention span in the world and he usually starts off studying but five minutes later he's talking about something entirely unrelated.