Forty.

Hiiii! Long time no see. How are y'all? Missed ya. This chapter is pretty straight. Let me know what your think.

Back in chapter 22...y'all I was using Foxy Brown lyrics. "With sex in his eyes, he turned and then he said" is a lyric and I used a few lines before that. I thought someone would catch it 😭🫶🏾

Enjoy the chapter and excuse any mistakes.

Naomi's POV

2 weeks later

I rested my head on the chair I occupied as the sounds of the machines sounded. My eyes focused on my baby who I've yet to hold.

I've been here everyday since I could get up but physically holding him is a little scary. I want to, believe me but with all the tubes and how small he is, I don't want to hurt him.

Jayson has returned to Boston to start playoffs. I miss him terribly but I know he'd be here if he could. Me and the baby watch him play every game.

Baby Tatum 3.0 still doesn't have a name. Jay and I are having trouble settling. Well more so me. Names are so hard but we're going to figure it out. Holding him might make the process easier.

He started crying and my zoned out spell focused on him again. I sat up as a nurse came in and checked on him.

"What's wrong little one? Are you hungry? Maybe mommy is up to feeding you tonight?" She glanced at me with a little smile.

I'm nervous but I want to feed my child and bond with him. "Yeah." I returned the smile. "I'm up for it."

"Great. I'll get his bottle and be right back."

My phone started vibrating and I answered. "Hey."

"Hey boo. Just calling to check in. How's everything?"

"Fine." I nodded.

"I'm sorry I haven't talked to you today. It's been busy and every time I got a second, something else came up."

"It's ok. I understand."

"Why you being so short? What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Everything is good. I'm about to feed him."

"You sure? You can talk to me Naomi."

"I'm sure bubba. Can I call you back? He's ready for me."

"Yeah. I'll be waiting for your call."

"Ok." We hung up and I prepared myself.

"Ready?" The nurse asked.

"Ready." I nodded. Our little one was given to me and his eyes squinted as it appeared he focused on me. "Hi." I whispered and I got sad.

I'm so thankful he is here and he's progressing well. There's just a little thought in the back of my mind blaming myself for his current state. I should've done better during my pregnancy.

A tissue wiped my face and I looked up to see my mother in law. "Hey ma." I sniffled.

My eyes remained on him as she side hugged me. "It's going to be ok sweet girl." She rubbed my shoulder. "I'm proud of you. I know holding him was scary but look at you." She smiled at me.

"Yeah I needed to."

"And he's just staring right at you. Aren't you? He is so beautiful."

"He is." I agreed.

She pulled a chair beside me and we sat in a comfortable silence until she sparked up a conversation.

"Soo..." she trailed off.