CHAPTER 1

"Before time began, there was the Cube. We know not where it comes from, only that it holds the power to create worlds and fill them with life. That was how our race was born. For a time, we lived in harmony, but like all great power, some wanted it for good, others for evil".

The moment Optimus's voice dropped a note, all the Autobots in the dingy space they referred to as their 'room' tensed slightly on their shocks. They knew what was coming next. After all, they had heard this story repeated over the eons, told and chanted religiously like a priest quoting the Bible. Every sparkling born during the war, and they were tragically few, had heard the tale too. The tension was imbibed in their memory cores.

But for the young raven-haired and blue-eyed girl snuggled cozily in the Autobot leader's passenger seat, this part of the story only ignited her curiosity, and made her want to ask more questions than could be answered at once.

"And so began the war - a war that ravaged our planet until it was consumed by death, and the Cube was lost to the far reaches of space. We scattered across the galaxy, hoping to find it and rebuild our home", Optimus continued after the long pause, seemingly sensing the little girl's eagerness. "Searching every star, every world. And just when all hope seemed lost, message of a new discovery drew us to an unknown planet called"-

"Earth", the little girl purred from inside Optimus's interior.

"Good job, love", Sarissa, the girl's mother, complimented her daughter as she readjusted the tartan blanket wrapped around her. "Your memory is improving"!

"Still could use some work beyond just one word", Ironhide rumbled from his spot just outside, though he too, forwarded a compliment. "But its better than nothing".

"Alright, everyone"! Ratchet called to them. "We stayed awake long enough. Its time to recharge"!

"What?! Now"!? Bumblebee whined, revving his engine. "Can't we stay awake a little longer"?

"Ma says its not good for anyone to go to bed late", the little girl stated firmly.

"Oh scrap, right", Bumblebee sobered, narrowly missing Ironhide rapping him on the back of the helm for cursing. "My bad, Amalia. Its just...I like it when Optimus tells us bedtime stories too, and sometimes I get too excited and...well...forget that we need an early recharge".

"That's okay", Amalia, the little girl, purred back to the yellow Autobot, then extended her hand out of the window to gently rest her tiny hand against his faceplates. "We all forget things sometimes. Ironhide forgot to calibrate his cannons yesterday, you know"?

"Oopsie", Ratchet chuckled, giving the black weapons specialist a teasing look. "Did you miss your latest shot then"?

"I'll have you know, that I still got that Decepticon either way"! Ironhide snapped back at the medic, prompting Optimus to rev his engine at him. "Took a bit more effort than needed though".

"Ironhide", Optimus rumbled warningly.

"Oh, right", Ironhide muttered, than knelt down so he was at level with the Autobot leader's window. "What happened to secrets, eh"?

"You stepped on my bunny toy last week"! Amalia pouted. "How's that fair"?

"Looks like someone wanted revenge", Sarissa giggled, then stretched out on the seat. "Sorry, dad, but you might wanna make it up to your granddaughter".

"Fine, fine", Ironhide grumbled, then transformed and drove off to his berth.

"Don't mind your gramps today, mija", Sarissa reassured her daughter. "He's a little sore from not being able to take that shot".