Goodbyes

The vault was huge. Massive. It seemed to sprawl out endlessly, with no ending in sight due to the pitch black walls. The alarms had stopped.

I wanted to hurl. My heart clenched inside of my chest and I grabbed onto Navy to steady myself. There were tubes. Massive tubes, enough to fit...humans. Humans were shoved, pressed against the glass, as if they were shoved down with a stick. Any shape, any gender, all contorted in a strange yellow liquid. Wires were shoved in their bodies, monitoring heart rate and whatnot. It was sickening.

The Destroyers really love their experiments.

I shuddered, remembering my own torments.

Needles.

Drugs.

Scalpels.

My blood.

I could only imagine what the rest of my friends had gone through while they were sat at the lab.

Navy slowly encouraged me forward, trying to stay with the group. Mindlessly, I followed. As if my whole body had gone numb.

"He's transforming them." Angie choked out.

It took me a bit, but I saw what she meant. As we neared the end of the room, the bodies slowly transitioned to identical models of Grady. The Chief of the Destroyers.

I started crying. These were evil, evil people. Cold, black hate filled my body. The kind that blinds you. The kind that's dangerous.

But no matter how terrible I got, no matter how distorted their poor, defenseless bodies got, I couldn't tear my gaze away.

All of my person was screaming at me to leave, to run, to get away, to never come back.

But I stayed.

I felt as if I owed these people something. If this 'prophecy' is true, I'm the only one who can stop these, these, these...

Murderers. My mind whispered.

Cold blooded, evil, murderers.

There was no word to express how much I wanted these people dead. Every last one. Even if there was a janitor who dared work for these psychopaths, they're gone.

Dead.

I continued to soak in the rage, the anger, the hate. Seething at each body trappe-

No.

No.

It can't be.

Blindly, I charged at the giant tube in front of me. I slammed angry fists down onto the glass. Through my vision blurred by tears, I made out a familiar face.

"Not, not her..." Angie trailed off. She ran to help me. We banged on the glass, furiously trying to break it. Angie sliced through this glass like paper using her shields, and a mangled body rolled out.

Core.

"They must have caught her when I escaped." I said through sobs. "I blow darted her in the neck and just, left her there. She's here because of me." I crumpled onto the ground. Massive cries os sadness and pain wracked my body, sending me spiraling into the darkest depths of my mind.

"Hey." A voice brought me back to reality. The cruel, painful reality I live in.

"I'm here." Navy.

He held me there on the ground. I was vaguely aware of Raven and Angie trying to heal Core with potions, with Jackson removing the strange yellow liquid with his powers.

Because of everything, every sound I made, every moment I wasted, we didn't hear the footsteps.

Didn't hear the cruel laughter.