0.9

michael saw that calum was shivering on the way to breakfast, so he gave the boy his leather jacket to keep warm. he himself never got very cold, it being the middle of september.

"thanks, you really didn't have to do that" calum smiled back at him, holding on to the jacket with his finger tips.

"i don't want you to be cold."

after that, they walked in silence until they entered the diner. it wasn't very crowded, but more so than usual.

then again it was earlier than when he usually came, it being the time when people are on their way to work now.

"calum" michael stopped him, moving so they now faced each other.

"yeah?" he nibbled nervously on his lip.

"please order whatever you want, okay? i don't give a shit if you feel bad about using my money or having me pay for you, all i want you to focus on is what you want to eat and how much you want to eat or get to save for later. get as much as you want, okay? i don't care about the money right now" he put his hand on calum's shoulder, trying to get his point across.

"um- o-okay" he nodded, let out a big breath and nodded again. michael smiles softly at him as they got in line.

calum ordered a few more things than michael, but that was obviously okay. michael was just happy that calum was eating a meal.

"calum?" he said once he was finished with his own food.

"yeah?" he looked up from the bagel he was working on.

"um- well i uh- i know that we only just met and you could be a serial killer for all i know, but i wanted to know if you would like to come back to my apartment? well i still live with my parents in a house but i have an apartment because my parents thought it would be a good idea. i'm not creepy or anything, i swear."

calum looked genuinely surprised, but then a smile broke out on his face, "i'd love to, but- why do you trust me so much michael?"

michael's heart sank at the reminder, but looked into calum's eyes calmly, "let's just say that you remind me a lot of somebody that i used to know."

another painful reminder of the boy he left behind. a toast for the boy who just broke his heart.

A/N: gotye and mayday parade lyrics/songs mentioned lol