0.6

for exactly two hours they stayed sitting on opposite corners, waiting until michael sobered up just a little bit more and the kid calmed himself down. he went outside and threw up in a dumpster, but other than that neither of them had moved.

"i'm sorry dude" michael said, "i was wasted and i didn't know where to go and i just stumbled upon this place. i didn't know there was anyone here, i swear."

"it's fine" the boy shrugged, "it happens sometimes."

the boy's skin was tan, darker than michael's, and he had what seemed to be brown eyes and black hair. he couldn't see his clothes, but they were probably dirty and/or old.

he felt genuinely sorry for the kid.

"what's your name?" michael asked, scooting his legs up so his knees were touching his chin.

"calum, what's yours?" calum copied michael's position, wrapping his arms around his legs to keep them from sliding down.

"michael."

silence.

"y'wanna hear a funny story?"

"sure."

michael giggled, "so there's this kid named luke that i accidentally texted months ago, and he was really sweet and nice and innocent and he made me realize how gay i am."

he giggled some more.

"n then i fell in love with him and i think he fell in love with me but i'm not sure, n like then he met this kid named ashton and he didn't like me and luke didn't hang out with me for a while n then texted me n told me to meet him at the library, so i did."

"n he tells me that he doesn't like ashton n that ashton pulled a gun out n said he was gonna shoot me because i would only get in the way of him and luke. n then luke gets all scared and pale n i ask him what's wrong and he introduces me to ashton, who wasn't real."

and then he laughs. really loud.

"he has schizophrenia, n i didn't know what to do so i ignored him for a while because that's some scary shit, n one day i'm in the store buying stuff n i bought a penguin because it reminded me of him, n luke comes in n says we need to talk, so we go in the parking lot. n then he pulls a gun on me and threatens to shoot me n right before he pulled the trigger i dove and started running."

"n so i hide from him but he ends up finding me n shot me in my arm, which is why i have a cast on, n then he got arrested n now he's in some mental place getting better n i kinda really miss him."

"it's funny, isn't it?" michael looked over at calum with glassy eyes, a tear spilling down his cheek.

"come 'ere" calum motioned to the crying boy, and he did. in fact, he didn't smell bad like michael thought. he actually smelled faintly of cologne, which confused him.

they sat next to each other, michael's head on calum's shoulder with calum's arms wrapped around michael like a protective shield, a barrier against the evil.

and it felt good.