Chapter Nineteen

"How was your weekend in Rome?" Nate asked Simone as the three of them now sat in class and took out their books

"Rome? Oh, no. He got a little hotep-y, so he's on time-out right now. And you gonna tell me where you were last night?" Simone asked Nate with a side-eye.

"In heaven."

"Period," Sevyn said as she high-fived Nate.

"Oh and don't get me started on you Miss Baker- Wade, coming back in an hour before class starts in last night's clothes, a lifted wig that Nate had to fix, and a hickey," Simone said causing Sevyn to gasp as she pulled out her laptop she looked ahead of her seeing a familiar blue and white jacket but ignored it just opening up her notebook.

"You didn't have to say all that but it was amazing honey," Sevyn said not knowing that Lando heard it.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the first week of classes. As we are coming off the Martin Luther King Holiday, it should come as no surprise that we're starting this semester off on the subject of the good reverend."

"Your first assignment will focus not on King but on the men and women who walked with him, people whose names aren't as well-known to history but without whom the movement wouldn't have succeeded. So, yes, we were Kings, but we were also Cottons, Youngs..."

"Abernathys," Lando said causing Sevyn, Nate, and Simone to look at each other Sevyn tapped Simone and pointed to the seat next to Lando was Devin Johnson the two boys that very much disliked their friend.

"Exactly."

"When people think about the Birmingham bus boycotts, they think about Rosa Parks and Dr. King, but there was a teenage girl named Claudette Colvin who refused to leave her seat 9 months before Parks. And local activists E.D. Nixon and Jo Ann Robinson led the charge to challenge segregation on those buses in 1956. So they should be credited for the boycott's success as well." Sevyn explained.

"I don't know if..." Lando started with a chuckle," I would actually say it was a success."

"It eliminated discrimination in mass transit and kicked off the Civil Rights movement." Sevyn debated.

"But a lot of Black small businesses couldn't compete once folks would go to the bigger White-owned stores," Lando stated.

"But that's not what we're talking about," Sevyn said sighing.

"Well, maybe you should be. My family came from Birmingham. And two years after the boycott, my great-uncle's car service business went bankrupt." Devin stated.

"So what, you're pro-segregation?" Simone asked getting into their debate not liking the fact they were trying to tag team Sevyn.

"No. Look, I just think there's a conversation about whether integration undercut the unity and financial stability of the community. An all-Black environment has its rewards. Case in point: the HBCU we're in right now. See, not everything is so simplistic." Lando said causing Sevyn to gasp while some of the class laughed.