18. distraction - strangers

A/N - Either I'm being too critical of myself, but I think my writing is getting worse lol, I hope you guys still enjoy though, sad chapter again I'm so sorry!

--

You stayed in the range for about an hour, shooting targets, brushing up on your throwing knives skill just in case, because now would be one of the best times to impress Ghost. The time alone was tranquility; you had an awesome night and morning, so it was nice to relive the moments in your head while you were training. 

After another 30 minutes, you sighed and started cleaning your gun. They should be ready anytime now, you thought. You were ready to get this over with. You walked over to the safe house to gather your bags, seeing Soap and Ghost gathering their equipment and greeting you.

"Hey, lass, you ready?" Soap asked.

"Just gotta grab my stuff, too. Just one sec," you informed. You took note of how Ghost didn't speak to you, or even look at you. 

--

Gathering into the vehicle, Ghost started going on about the mission. "We're going to a destroyed village scoping for survivors, other forces in the military called us for help. Price and Gaz are doing a quick mission and will join us as they finish. Enemies might be hiding out, we got to watch each other's six's." 

"Yes sir," you and Soap said together. 

"'S gonna be a long ride," Ghost sighed, starting the jeep and driving off.

You caught up on some much-needed sleep during the ride. 

--

Arriving to the site, Soap's mouth opened in surprise, "Steamin' bloody Jesus..."

"Absolutely destroyed..." you added.

Well, this was going to take forever, you thought. A whole village, strips of shops and bundles of houses completely destroyed to rubble, along with furniture and what was left of the food in the shops. From what you could see, there would be no survivors, and if there were, they were surely to die before you found them.

Everyone gets out of the vehicle, strapped with their weapons. 

"Fuckin' bastards..." Ghost rasped as he checked his heartbeat sensor to see nothing as of right now. "Be lucky if anyone survived this."

"Right..." you looked around, taking in all the damage, wondering what happened but learned better than to ask questions. 

--

It took hours to sweep through what was left of each building, looking under rocks for people, animals, any signs of life. The only thing you guys found was a kitten, and it was in bad shape, all black. He limped towards you, meowing, nearly screaming for you to notice it.

"Aww, little fella... Hey..." you cooed at it before carefully picking it up. Soap came over to pet it, frowning at its condition.

"L.T..." Soap called in a sad tone.

"We're not having a kitten, 's another mouth to feed, and it's likely to die," he said plainly.

"Have you no heart for this little cutie?" you brought him to the Lieutenant. "Look at him. Just look at him."

He sighed, rolling his eyes before he glanced at the kitten. "Yeah... I guess it's cute... I'm not taking care of it. Put it in a box in the jeep or something, we're not really in a position to hold onto it, especially in the middle of a mission."

"Cannae believe how it survived... Must be so scared, little one," Soap worried. 

"Thank you! Just for a little while you'll be alone in the jeep, baby. I promise we're coming back for you. You're safe here. I'm going to take care of you," you cooed at it while you found a box big enough to hold it in the jeep, thankfully the weather was neutral, and though you worried, you figured at least you'd try to rescue it.