11. payback

Two days went by slowly. You were concerned about Ghost, but quite frankly didn't dare to ask about his condition yet. As you came down from your adrenaline high, you started thinking more about the mission. You didn't think twice when it came to saving his life, even if he's been an ass to you, you did for him what he did for you. You acted right then and there. Not obeying his order when he told you to abandon him, the consequences didn't cross your mind.

 It's illegal to disobey an order. Fuck, you were going to be dismissed already. Your pride told you fuck that - if you had to be dismissed over saving someone - your superior's life, then so be it. You'd rather be dismissed than leave someone like that. Plus, he saved your life, too. 

Price did call you into his office for a meeting, and your heart nearly dropped. You expected to be dismissed but felt it was still wrong. Would they understand your thought process?

--

While you explained to Price about the situation, what occurred and how you acted upon instinct, he understood.

 "Disobeying a superior officer's orders is illegal, mate. Legally, I should dismiss you. But you hold value to our team," he sighed. "You got fire in ya, I'm starting to see it. I like that. You did what needed to be done, and got it done - well."

You nodded while you had trouble maintaining eye contact, ready for him to just drop the bomb.

"I ain't gonna dismiss ya, kid," he shook his head. "Matter of fact, not gonna put it in the books or on record."

You breathe out a sigh of relief, "S-shit - thanks, cap."

He smiled at you, bright blue eyes crinkling as he blinked at you.

"How's Ghost?" you finally asked.

"He's... alive. In the hospital. Should be transferred to on-base medics soon," he informed. "Have a good day, y/l/n."

--

You go about your days as per usual. Training, shootin' the shit with the guys. It was different without Ghost around, admittedly. Word says he'll be on base tomorrow, so everyone talks about visiting him and if you guys should get him gifts.

"I'm going to get him a card and balloon..." you spoke up.

"Thanks for saving L.T., y/n," Soap thanked you, sincere evident on his face. "Some balls to not follow an order by him."

"Yeah," you chuckle. "Thankfully captain isn't dismissing me."

"We knew he wouldn't," Gaz smiled. 

--

You traveled off base and bought a 'get well soon' card along with a skull balloon. Fits him well, you thought. 

Arriving back, you sat at your desk thinking of what to write. You're welcome for saving your life. You made it. Glad you're alive. Sorry for not following your order.

No. You were stumped and finally settled on something.

You saved my life, so I guess this is payback. Get well soon. -Diamond.

Good enough. 

You walk to the medic station, hopefully not too late as everyone else was leaving.

"Sorry, I'm late..."

"Nah, not too late," Price said. "Go on in. He'll be out soon, though."

--

As you walk in through the tent, you peek through the curtain. 

"Ghost?" 

He groaned.

"Hi..." you mutter.

He sighed as he opened his eyes at you. "What is it, kid? You know that what you did is illegal, punishable, and could, probably will, get you dismissed?" he scolded weakly. 

"I already had a talk with Price about it. But I made a call and saved your life. If that gets me dismissed, then so be it. I wasn't going to let you die," you retorted with fire in your throat as you placed the card and balloon beside him on the table. "You know... Most people just say thank you... for saving their life."

Yeah, you used his own line against him. The fuck was he going to do about it?

Making your way to the door, and turning the handle, you heard shuffling and his grunts. He'd sat up, sighing. "Bloody hell. You're... right. Thanks... Diamond."

"Yep," you nod at him, hands behind your back, shifting on your feet as you become nervous, sharing eye contact with him, the way he looked at you was different. You click your tongue, thinking in between the awkward silence.

"Well, let me know if you need anything, sir."

He blinked slowly, head tilting down. "Simon."

"Oh..." you nod slowly, head running rampant at the fact he just told you his name. "Okay, Simon. I'll check on you soon."

--

Soap offers to take you out for drinks that night, and you don't hesitate to accept the offer. You were stressed. Hell, your whole body was stressed. You didn't even have the energy to get out of your uniform and told him you'd be the one driving as you didn't plan on getting plastered. 

Arriving there, you and Soap find seats at the bar. You order y/f/d [your favorite drink], while Soap orders a whole pitcher of beer - expectedly. 

"Ghost's warming up to ya," Soap chatted. "'S a good thing, bonnie. I know he's pissed atcha, but he's thankful for it, deep down."

"I know," you smiled, sipping on your beverage. "He told me."

He choked on his drink, "L.T. said thank you to ya?"

"Aye," you laughed while mocking his accent.

"Quit that."

You take a final swig while you request one more from the bartender.

"Steamin' bloody Jesus..." Soap checked you out. "Yer a maise." (Scottish Gaelic for 'beauty').

You look confused and ask what the hell that means. But you've discovered you had a thing for accents. Holy shit, Ghost's accent rang through your ears smoother than silk, paired nicely with his deep, gravel voice. Soap's was charming and made the Scottish language sound... honestly, sexy. No, you're not going back and forth between who you may like more, but you have to appreciate their attractiveness. Thinking of your captain and Gaz these ways would be weirder, as you've grown close to them like family. 

"Yer a beauty, lass," he chuckles as he finishes off his second pitcher already. "Cannae help t'notice it."

Blushing, you thank him. 

"I know ya like Ghost, though, lass," he squinted at you. "Don't think no one's noticed."

"What?!" you deny, even though the heat on your face gives it away.

He laughs in response.

"Soap, what the hell?"

The more you tried to defend yourself, the deeper you dug your hole, so you gave up. Whatever. 

--

You two drowned out the night in long conversations, banter, and stories. You were too many drinks in and decided you couldn't drive anymore. Soap was pissed drunk at this point. You absent-mindedly tried to outdrink him, not knowing the consequences.

Gaz and Price came to pick you guys up, Price drove you guys back to base while Gaz drove your vehicle back. 

"Christ, you two're pissed," Price laughed. 

--

You don't remember the ride home, or how you got in your room, but you passed out cold, and still in uniform. Thankfully you have no missions tomorrow.

--