3. prove yourself

a/n - short chapter and not my best, sorry. hope you've all been well :)

0600 came early, but it allowed you enough time to take a morning shower, eat a proper breakfast, and have some downtime to read a book. You felt confident and eager to start the day until you remembered who you were sparring with, ugh. Speak of the devil. Here he comes, striding in, reaching into a tall cabinet with ease to grab a tea bag and mug. You keep your head down in your book and take a few sips of your morning coffee.

"Morning," he said with a raspy voice. You look up and smile at him, cheering your cup of brew to his tea. Wow, a "good morning".

"Morning, sir," you replied.

You almost had to do a double take when you realized he had lifted his mask to take a sip of his tea, but out of respect for him, you didn't. You didn't want to admit it, but just seeing his stubble, his pink lips with a scar across his bottom lip, you thought he was quite handsome without seeing his whole face. Well, you did admit it, but surely, he couldn't read your mind. What a silly thought.

"Come on," he spoke, setting his cup down. You look at the clock which reads 06:51, wow, you did well this morning. You bookmark your place in your book, finish off your coffee and follow behind him, silently obeying his command.

You walk out and groan at the cold morning air that hits your cheeks, turning them to a rosy, pink color. You admit that the sky is beautiful, but you don't like the cold. Ghost seems unfazed, calmly walking to the arena. He even opens the door for you, and you thank him.

--

3 more long and agitating days of training go by, and you, unfortunately, have to spar with Ghost for 2 of those, but Soap finished his mission early, able to fully focus on you, which made you happy, relieving you of having to deal with the ghost.

Soap said you were getting better, even told you how Ghost recommended he goes harder on you and told him about your weaknesses which he used to his advantage. Of course, you cared that you were getting better, but you were just ready to get the first mission over with, even though you had no idea what it would be or how long it would take.

By the last day, you assessed all of your weaknesses and were able to do better in that area, expertly getting out of every hold and grip Soap challenged you with.

You were ready for your mission, with everyone. Not having been talking to Gaz much, you decide to ask him how his day was going so far. It was 1600 and again, you were feeling very accomplished lately. Been getting up earlier, starting your days off properly, and starting to feel like you somewhat belong.

"I'm alright. How about you, Diamond? Fitting in well?"

"Good as ever, and fitting in as much as I can, I guess. Still feel... weird, in a way," you scrunched your face, searching for the right words.

"Do... you wanna talk about it?" he questioned.

"There's not much to talk about. Guess it's the fact that maybe I'm the only female here, but I don't feel... accepted... fully? I guess."

"Ah. Well, you are indeed the only female, but if it's to any comfort, I accept you here," he comforted you and patted your back in a friendly manner.

You smile at him, thinking that at least he and Soap were nice to you. "Thanks, Gaz. You're awesome! Sorry, we haven't talked much."

"Hey, no worries. My fault, too. I didn't seek out conversation."

Still, feeling accepted even a little bit felt like a victory. Everyone, including Ghost, was eating their dinners, paying attention to the movies. Laughs filled the room. The feeling of "newness" was starting to wear off.

You decided to observe instead of take part in any conversation, trying to learn more about everyone. Price always had a cigar, Ghost was, well, Ghost, Soap was a dipshit, a smart dipshit, but funny, and Gaz was seemingly calm.

"Meet in the conference room by 0630. Everyone should be up and prepared, blah, blah, blah," Price nodded, while everyone laughed at his 'dad-like' pep-talk. "Diamond, glad you're here, show us what you're worth tomorrow, yeah? Goodnight, everyone."

The captain's words replay in your head. 

Show us what you're worth.

Don't worry, I will.

You smile, feeling like you've finally won as you drift off to sleep, anticipating your first mission.

--