6. tension

A/N - I promise it's gonna get good, guys. Ik we might be mad at Ghost rn but... well, yeah, he's a dick. But omg, I can't wait until you guys read chapter 14 :D it's a long way away from here, ohhhh but it melts my heart! Was kicking my feet as I was writing it! I've done editing and am starting to be happier with this story!

--

You almost have to pry your eyes open, dried tears sealing your lids shut. You don't dare to think about last night, you just get up and ready quickly. You go to the kitchen and grab a bottle of water and head back to your room, ready to read a little bit before starting your day. No words of any new missions for you yet, a part of you hopes the next mission to come by quicker. 

You get dressed and head over to the gym, ready to distract yourself. You were dead set on ignoring Ghost regardless, quite frankly you wouldn't give a fuck if he was in the gym as well. You're here to do your job, and you're going to do it and not let anyone get in your way, not even the man you have a weird crush on.

--

Days went by, you pretty much lived in the gym. It was a helpful distraction, you felt exhilarated from adrenaline. Long jobs helped you clear your mind and refocus, but you'll have to settle for long workouts.

Returning to base, ready to go shower from feeling dirty, skin stuck with sweat, Gaz informs you that Price needs to see you as soon as possible. 

Fuck, hope I'm not too late. You put off your shower, knocking on the captain's office, and holding your breath. 

"Come in," Price says from behind the door.

"Afternoon, captain," you greet as you sit down.

"'Noon," he nods at you while he sends a quick text from his phone.

You don't know what to say so you play with your fingers, anticipating the reason you're here. Until all the boys come into the room.

You nod at Soap as he sits down in the seat next to you. Also waving at Gaz, but ignoring Ghost. 

"Right, so. Soap and Diamond, you're going to this location," he starts, pointing a finger at a place on a map on the desk. "Setting up a spy device, taking pictures, and heading back here."

Ghost huffs, seemingly annoyed.

"There shouldn't be anyone there, but if there is, don't allow any witnesses."

"Rest of y' will be staying behind, keepin' eyes on them," Price patted the desk. "Right well, that's it! Everyone out of here!"

Price seemed annoyed, flustered, or stressed. He handles it well though, being the captain of this force surely wasn't an easy job.

You honestly looked forward to this, you didn't have to feel tense due to Ghost. Being around Soap was easy, and you could be yourself. 

You showered and did everything you could, but you couldn't fall asleep that night. You walk to the kitchen for a late-night snack and water, finding Soap drinking a beer.

"Can't sleep, Sergeant?" you ask.

"Nah, not that," he seemed off, but you didn't want to push. 

"Ah, well, I can't sleep," you try to ease the awkward feeling in the air.

Ghost walks back in from outside, staring harshly at the two of you, walking mad to his room. Your head falls feeling weird energy in the air.

Soap notices and shakes his head. "Somethin's wrong with L.T. Probably mad, big guy."

"Well, I don't truly care," you scoff, downing the rest of your water.

"He'll get over it, lass. He's... weird."

"Well, goodnight," you pat his bicep as you turn back to your room.

Sleeping was a little easier now, you assume that Ghost is mad about you being chosen to go with Soap on this mission, and feel victory that you didn't let yourself care about how it made anybody feel.

--

As you and Soap ready yourselves for the mission the next evening, both of you decide who's driving.

"I don't want to drive, honestly," you tell him as he agrees he's better off driving anyway. 

Heading to the location and setting up your night vision gear and equipment, you follow Soap's lead when he gets out of the vehicle. 

"We go in, I install this, you take pictures of the building and surrounding areas and we get out of here," Soap nods at you. 

"Seems easy enough," you say.

As you approach the building, you see torn pictures of families and feel a wave of sadness. Even if they're enemies, you still wished the children were at least okay. They don't deserve to endure this lifestyle, they didn't choose it, either. Picking them up and inspecting them, Soap halts next to you, looking at the picture with you.

"Hmm." he nods at it. You then put it in your pocket in case it can be used.

Installing the device was a little tricky, but Soap managed to make it work. The building was empty besides some dirty mattresses and literal piles of... dirt in random places. You took pictures of every room, every path outside, and the surroundings. You were walking around until you noticed a crushed cigar butt and the tiniest strand of black hair bundled in a corner. You quickly put gloves on, grab a small container and put both in.

"Soap. Look," you got his attention. He walks over with a flashlight, inspecting the contents. 

"Someone was here."

"Cap'n'll send it off to a lab to get any DNA. Clear?" he asked.

"Yes, sir."

--

Soap compliments you and you hesitate to accept it considering the mission wasn't very hard, instead, you tell him, "Waiting for the 'filth' Price said we'd be ridding the world of. I mean. Are we doing that right now?"

"Eh, I guess'so? I don't ask too many questions. Anyway, I believe in you, lass. Yer learning yer spot here, I respect it."

"Thanks, Soap."

--

Returning to base, walking in Ghost was staring daggers through your and Soap's souls.

"Hey, L.T.!"  Soap beamed. 

You just stepped to your captain's office, not really paying attention to Ghost. 

Price walked out and welcomed you in and called Ghost. He made sure to nod at Soap to greet him as well.

--

"Well, that mission was easy, huh?" Price chuckled.

"Yes, captain, it was," you agree and set down the container, the photo, and the camera on his desk.

"So... You and Ghost. Mission together the day after tomorrow. Nearby cartel. Capture the leader, preferably alive. He'll be with 2 men, so they have to go down, too. Understood?"

Ghost glares at you and nods at the captain. You glare back, not backing down. Why does he like to do staring contests, it seems?

"Affirmative, captain," you break the silence while Price tilts his head, waiting for an answer.

You both leave the captain's quarters and head separate ways. You need to shower and unwind as your body was tensed with stress.

You join the common room with everyone but stay to yourself, reading your book. 

Sometimes you smiled when you heard a funny joke being told. And of course, you felt pairs of eyes locked on you, but why should you even acknowledge it? He doesn't need to know that you know he's staring.

Everyone left and it left you, Soap, and Ghost. You yawned and placed a bookmark, saying "goodnight" to no one in particular, just out loud. 

--