2. learning

Waking up a little late at 0545, you get up quickly and get back in your uniform. Shit, shit, shit. How did I oversleep? That's not like me. You splash your face with cold water and brush your teeth quickly. Pulling your hair into a neat low bun, you take one last look in the mirror at yourself. You'll barely have time for breakfast this morning, luckily you had a pack of crackers in your bag, so you ate those quickly and chugged a glass of water.

Hightailing it to the range, you made it there sparing 2 minutes till 06:00. Unsure whether to wait here or head inside, you tiptoe inside the building only to find Ghost already firing a few rounds with his pistol.

He turned around and didn't say a word. Not even a good morning? What a lame.

"Morning, Lieutenant," you choked out.

He sighed in response.

"Oh, okay. Well, want me to just... grab a gun?" you ask.

"No, we're out here for the hell of it," he spat. "Grab a gun and show me what you can do with it."

Jeez, okay. Someone must not like mornings or is he always like this?

He didn't specify, so you just took an M16 and the mag. You walk over to a stall, load the gun, stand in proper stance, and fire sharply and accurately at each target. You didn't hear Ghost walk behind you, but you see him with his arms folded out of the corner of your eye. You ignore him and keep shooting. As you said, you never missed a shot. You hit each target in their head, not surprising yourself if you're being honest.

As the gun is emptied, you put it down and turn around to face him, putting more weight on one hip and crossing your arms as well, waiting for his approval.

"Not bad," he rasped. "Let's see you with a sniper."

You obey, and once again, don't miss a shot, this time shoot all targets between where their eyes would be.

"What else?" you asked.

"Pistol."

Again.

"Shotgun."

And again.

"Throwing knife."

Well, you're not an expert at throwing knives, so this caught you off guard for a minute. Still, confident, you grab 3 and only miss one target.

"Fuck!" you complain.

"Hmm."

"What? Let me see you do it," you scoff.

So, he does. He hits all three right in the neck. One swift motion with expertise, like he did this a thousand times before.

"Um, okay. Starting to wonder what I did wrong; how did you get those all perfectly?"

"Fuckin' hell. Come," he gestures for you to stand next to him. He instructs you how to hold the blade, and how to stand, he uses his foot to move your legs and knees in a better stance. You shouldn't be ogling your superior but fuck the way he towered over you from behind didn't help, making your knees feel weaker. How his bicep was as big as your thigh and compared next to your arm make you look like you were almost the size of an ant.

Finally, you throw all three, and thunk, thunk, thunk, all three hits between their necks and shoulders, astonished at your success, you giddily jump up and down for a brief moment, unable to contain your enthusiasm.

"Right. Well, we're done. Price wants you in his office at 0900," he ordered and walked away.

"Thanks, Lieutenant," embarrassed, you spoke upon deaf ears as he walked away, either he didn't hear you or was once again ignoring you.

--

The meeting went well, Price said you would be placed on the next mission in 8 days. Until then, just make yourself at home.

"Heard you're pretty good, need work with hand-to-hand, but Ghost said you had 100% accuracy and you'll be a great addition as a sniper. Proud of you, kid. Glad to have you. Welcome to the 141," Price complimented you as he dismissed you from his office.

You'll be training hand-to-hand with Soap for the next 8 days as he has time in between his current missions. You smiled to yourself, laughing in your head at how you got him in a chokehold on the first day meeting him. He did say he'd go easy on you, but you asked him not to. Still, you were able to pin him down easily and get behind him, maneuvering through every tactic he threw at you. Wondering if he did go easy on you, you figured you could only get better. At least Price didn't pair you to spar with Ghost for 8 days. That would've been awkward.

--

2 days go by, and you still haven't got the chance to spar, so you head over to the training arena and decide to work out. Glad it was empty, you got to run on a treadmill. Afterward, you do some bicep curls and some squats. Not stopping until you sweat profusely, you end it off right when Ghost walks in, thankfully. You were going to use the shower here but decided to just use your own, not wanting to be in the same building as him.

"Good day, Lieutenant, was just heading out," you told him as you exited, waving bye at him.

"Mhm," he nodded.

Just like a ghost, he's goddamn everywhere.

Not letting him agitate you, after you shower, you lounge in the common room in your free time and watch any show you want it to be.

Someone walks in, you don't allow yourself to look until a Scottish accent speaks up, "Mind if I join?"

"No, go ahead," you say, smiling at him.

His mouth opens and closes as he figures out what to say. "Look, I apologize about Ghost if he's... gettin' to ya or something. Man has trouble trusting people, you'd understand if you knew him better."

"Nah, it's all good. Just a plain dick, honestly," you tell him while shrugging your shoulders, trying to act nonchalant.

He breathes a huff of air in a laugh, "Aye, I agree. But he knows what's best. Heard you are a good shot, lass."

"Told you guys I was, I'm not a liar!" you smile at him, laughing louder until Ghost walked in.

You two share a quick moment of eye contact until he sits down, filling the room with a weird tension.

Soap laughs at the show and playfully hits your arm as he checks if he's the only one laughing. And of course, you're laughing, both of you look over to Ghost while he looks at you guys as if you had 4 heads. You shake it off, "Come on, Ghost, that was funny."

"Not really," he sighed.

"Mate, laugh a little," Soap prodded. "Won' kill ya none."

Everyone, except Ghost again, ate TV dinners while watching a movie. Telling everyone goodnight, you decided to stay in the common room, still feeling riled up from the laughter and activities of the day. Expecting to be alone, you're not as Ghost stays as well. Just great.

You decided to be nosey. "So, you don't eat. Let me guess, you don't sleep either?"

"I do eat, just not in front of newbies. And I do sleep, mind your business, rookie," he spat at you with dangerous eyes.

You hold your hands up and surrender, half-jokingly, "Alright, sorry to push."

Uncomfortable silence fills the room as you try to enjoy the rest of the movie, trying not to pay attention to Ghost's intimidating presence in the room.

"Should be starting your training tomorrow, y/l/n," Ghost spoke.

"With Soap, right? He hadn't mentioned anything about it lately, figured he was busy."

"Yeah, but tomorrow you'll be training with me," he informed you as he left the room to go to his. "0730."

Go fuck yourself, Ghost, you said in your head as you watched him intently as he left. Thank you for leaving.

You finish the movie and finally go to bed, this time setting your alarm for 0600.

--