Fifteen

[RORY]

I could feel their gazes searing into my skin, rendering me completely useless to the conversation I was meant to be participating in. I'd sensed eyes on me the minute Christopher and I had walked into the Forum's VIP lounge, but there was something about the persistency of two particular girls - both pretty enough to graze the cover of a magazine, both less than subtle with the whispering - that had me caught up in my head.

Though in reality it was more gradual, it felt as though White Noise had become the most sought-after band in the world overnight and in turn, I'd become far more interesting to the public. I was finding the shift fairly unbearable - my confidence in both Finn and I's relationship and myself abandoning me immediately.

Why are they laughing? Is it at me? Is it because of the pictures? Do they think I'm pretty enough for him? Do they think he can do better? Do they think he already is and I don't know?

"Rory here had an interesting take on the album."

I blinked once, twice, and a third time before my brain had time to catch up to where the conversation was at. The man we'd been talking to stared at me expectantly and while I knew Christopher had introduced him and I knew he was very important, I had no clue who he was.

Christopher had a polite - but knowing - smile, jumping in to save me once again.

"The idea that this album is an ode to the first is kind of brilliant, if you think about it. I hadn't put two and two together but I think she may be right," he raised his eyebrows in my direction, nodding his head. "It's precisely why I like to bring her along with me when I'm covering, she has this fresh perspective that the more seasoned journalists have ironically lost with their experience."

Though I was appreciative of the compliments, my smile was forced. The girls were laughing again, fueling the heat in my cheeks. My mind was playing ping pong and the game was tied as I jockeyed between thinking I was the butt of their joke while also not feeling worthy enough to even hit their radar.

"You flatter me," I eventually spoke, avoiding Christopher's curious gaze. "Yeah, I think the albums are connected."

The two men waited for me to elaborate and when I didn't, I could almost tangibly feel Christopher's disappointment. He'd teed me up and I let the opportunity to flex my knowledge slip through my fingers, letting him take the reins once again. Maybe I should have cared more about impressing the stranger and maybe I should have been more concerned about my poor performance at work but instead, I was caught up on the beautiful blondes, what they were saying about me, if anything, and how many of them were backstage at White Noise's opening show the night before.

Finn had impeccable timing, subconsciously following the path of my dangerous thoughts and intervening. The vibration in my back pocket was a welcomed surprise as I did the math in my head to figure out the time in Ireland, knowing the state he had to be in before even reading what he'd sent.

Rory.

I'd not had time to respond before a chain of texts came in back-to-back.

Fucking Morrissey.

MORRISSEY

Was at the fuckin show

We were breathing the same air

He came to OUR show

What the fuck. What the fuck.

My painful smile was only natural as my chest ballooned with pride. I chewed on my lip as my thumbs hovered, realizing eyes were on me.