Chapter 31 - Mai

Mai's Pov

"Screw you Skxawng' I yelled at Neteyam as he swooped his Ikran near me nearly causing me to fall off him. We were gliding through the hallelujah mountains of Pandora on our Ikrans making our way back to Neteyam's area in the Omatikaya clan base. I couldn't wait to meet his whole family. Neteyam and I have been friends for months now but as his father is the one and only Toruk Makto he hasn't introduced me to his brothers and sisters as they're kept in a separate part of the village.

I like how you bring me back to this time Neteyam I laugh to myself silently remembering this moment all too well.

We continued our journey toward his base when I noticed I glisten in the trees below us. The glow berries.

'Neteyam we have to get down there I've been looking for these berries for months!' I say excitedly already pulling my Ikran towards the ground of the jungle.

'Lo'ak will kill me! He wanted to go riding on our Ikrans tonight.' Neteyam replied in annoyance at me but still swooped in landing right beside me.

'So that's the brother huh?' I say with a smile on my face this time, knowing exactly who his brother is.

'Yup, the skxawng king himself.' Neteyam replies to which I laugh at. Classic Neteyam- always trying to be funny.

I reach up to a branch where I see the glowing berries hanging. I grab a handful and make my way over to Neteyam who was watching me curiously.

'Are they poisonous?' He asks me. I tell him no and give him one to try with me. We both pop the mystery berry into our mouths before gagging and spitting them out laughing hysterically at our reactions.

'Are you kidding me Mai?' That's fucking vile,' Neteyam exclaimed wiping his tongue with his hands which only made it worse because the taste of the berries were also on his hands.

I was dying laughing my hands on my knees buckled over.

'Neteyam, stop I'm laughing too hard it's making me feel sick.' I wheeze through laughs.

'You looked months for this shit?' Neteyam exclaims to me in disbelief. Wiping my eyes rid of my tears of laughter I shrug and reply, 'how was I supposed to know.'

This day was special to Neteyam and I. I remember feeling like a child again laughing at the stupidest of things. We laughed for ages, running around the forest that evening before we went to his family.

This boy, Neteyam, had no idea what that day would do. It introduced me to a new life, a new clan, a new family, a new lover.

I felt my tears of laughter merge into tears of sadness as Neteyam rushes over to me asking if I'd gotten hurt checking me all over.

All I can manage to do is shake my head.

I look at him who's grabbing my elbows concern written all over his face. Scanning my facial features asking what is wrong.

'You've given me such a better life Neteyam. You showed me happiness again after my parents died. That was you. You introduced me to your beautiful family. I will be grateful towards you for the rest of my life. Everything I do will be in your honour.'

Enjoy life with Eywa, Neteyam. I know it'll be as beautiful as your heart.