Chapter 12: Pardon me, officer

Start from the beginning

Bucky and I spent the way to dad's office in silence, but when we reached the door, Bucky stopped and took a deep breath. „You've got this, Bucky." I said reassuringly. And then we stepped into my father's office.

„Barnes! I see Lang found you! And squirt! Nice to see you're still taking the punishment so seriously, but this is a... private matter. So you can wait outside, please." Dad said and I gulped. I wasn't allowed to stay? That couldn't be good.

„But Dad, I-" „I want her to stay. Please, Stark." Bucky asked and looked at Dad. Dad's eyes went from me to Bucky, and then he sighed. „Fine, whatever." he said and waved a paper folder with Bucky's name on it. It was quite a big folder. I wondered what's written about him, since I knew pretty much nothing about him... but that wasn't important at that moment.

„See this Barnes? Your file got even heavier. They wrote minutes of their discussions, it took them days to make a decision. Do you want to read through it?"

„I'd rather not." Bucky responded with a shaky voice and I could see him sweating from the corner of my eye.

„I figured."

Dad proceeded to open the file and flipped through it to the very last page.

„Let me get straight to the point, I don't want to keep you on the rack for too long." Dad said with a serious face. I looked over to Bucky, who looked defeated. Granted, my dad was rarely ever this serious, but wouldn't there be policemen or something if he wasn't pardoned? By clearing his throat, dad regained my attention and started to read the statement.

After thoroughly viewing the evidence and discussing the case at hand, I hereby declare James Buchanan Barnes pardoned, provided he fulfills the following list of requirements:
- monthly sessions with a psychiatrist for one year
- thoroughly filled out mission reports and no solo missions for one year
- monthly volunteer work at a social non-profit facility of his choice for one year
James Buchanan Barnes, you are officially a free man!"

Dad declared and reached out to pat Bucky's shoulder, but to my surprise, Bucky grabbed me by the waist, lifted me up and spun me around with the biggest smile on his face.

„Wow, Bucky let me down!" I laughed and when he did, he pulled me into a tight hug. „I did it." he whispered.

„This screams party, if you're asking me!" Dad declared, but neither of us responded. I pulled back though and looked right at Bucky. „I told you, Barnes. No need to be nervous!" „Yes... you're right. Maybe I should start listening to you..." Bucky said and let out a soft chuckle.

„Earth to Barnes and daughter! Party tonight to celebrate this?" Dad asked and looked at us with nothing but utter confusion at how close we were.

„No Stark, not today. We can all watch a movie maybe, but I don't want this to be celebrated... I didn't exactly achieve something with my own strength, if you know what I mean?" Bucky said and I knew what he meant. „Hey now, you've been trying your very best to be a better person! Steve told me about how you secretly took off at night a few times to help out at a homeless shelter, you're going on missions to take Ocatvius down for good... You're trying everything to be a better men. So respectfully, that's bullshit. It is your achievement!" I set the record straight and he seemed like he tried his best to hide a smile. „What she said. Barnes, we have to throw you a party!" Dad insisted and Bucky sighed. „Aren't we going to have enough parties with the Christmas time starting?" Oh, he had a point. I had completely forgotten about that! It wasn't very long until Christmas and I didn't have any gifts! Good thing Barnes and I didn't gift each other anything.

"Fine." Dad let out a heavy sigh. "I'm letting you off the hook for now, but you better believe me when I'm saying there's going to be a party for your birthday!" He said and Bucky rolled his eyes with a grin on his face. He knew he didn't have a say in this matter, so he just accepted his fate. "Whatever you say, boss." He said and I let out a giggle. "Hey now! I don't like that the two of you are ganging up against me now!" Dad complained. "Us?" I asked innocently. "We would never! And now if you'll excuse us!" I added and then pulled Bucky out of dad's office.