CHAPTER 42

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing. "-Zig Ziglar.

Third Person's POV

With one sorry look towards Cam he moves closer to her as the rest of the people watch on, waiting intently for him to do his dare. He cups her face in his hands and inches his face closer just like he had imagined in his head several times. Without wasting time, he crashes his lips with hers, sucking in a sharp breath at the feel of her lips merging with his. His arm supports her lower back as he slowly kisses her. Cam who was in shock, didn't respond, she couldn't quite fathom what was happening. Her lips were tingling along with her tummy. The feeling was so overwhelming, that she found herself kissing him back. That seemed to give him the morale to continue moving his lips against hers, tugging her bottom lip into his mouth.

They both get so lost and when her senses finally kick in, the deed had been done.

She kissed him back.

She couldn't believe that she allowed herself melt in his arms, so with much force she could come up with, she pushed him away, got up, and ran. She needed some fresh air to think clearly, her mind was fogged. She could hear her name, faint, from Lucas' lips as she brushed past people, yet she didn't stop.

"Cam! Amy! Wait." He continues to call out to her.

But she doesn't stop, she keeps running. She ran till she was finally outside, away from all the noise, from him. What she didn't know was that he followed after her till he caught up to her. He tugs at her arm before turning her to face him.

Shame!

It was written all over her face.

She felt ashamed and why she was, he wondered.

They were both breathing heavily from all the running.

She stares at him as her eyes glisten with tears, her throat clogged up, "Why did you kiss me? I was pleading with you not to." She asks him as she tries to control how she feels.

He lets go of her and rakes his hands through his hair as he steadies her face before finally saying. "I've always wanted to." He answers truthfully.

"That's selfish of you, you know." She chuckles humorlessly as she forces back the tears that threaten to spill.

"But I was dared to." He tries to reason.

"You could have just drunk. It's not like you've never drunk before."

He sighs. "I've vowed not to drink again. For personal reasons."

She doesn't say anything but keeps quiet as the cool air hits her skin. They both stand there, uttering nothing as the silence passes between them.

As he stands there staring at her, he's convinced that whatever he felt, the time was now. He had to let it out, she ought to know, who knows, she might feel the same. So with all the conviction in his heart. "I like you." He blurts out and she immediately looks at him, so many emotions flashing through her eyes. Silently he prays, wishing she'd say something to calm his racing heart. Every word that'd come out from her lips next would either make or break him.

"I can't." She confesses and that sliced right through his heart, painfully but he wasn't giving up.

"Why?" he asks. He needed to know.

"I have someone I like." She blinks rapidly at him as she mutters, lips quivering. She looks away not wanting to meet his gaze.

He scowls, "But that's a lie."

She sucks in a breath, silently cussing under her breath. Of course, he wouldn't buy it. "Even if it is, I'm not allowed to like you."

He places his arms under her chin and turns her face to look at him, "How? Why?"

She smiles sadly, "Can't tell." She pulls away from his grip.

"Are you regretting kissing me back?" He asks hoping she'd say what he wants to hear but she doesn't, instead her next words sting.

"I wasn't supposed to in the first place."

"But you did. That means there's something you feel for me, yet you're fighting it." He tries to convince himself. He didn't want to believe she felt nothing.

"I'm not fighting anything, I just want to go home." Liquid pools in her eyes and it hurt him to see her almost in tears.

Against the feeling of reluctance, he manages to let this matter rest. He mutters, "Okay, I'll go get Ashley. Wait for me in the car?"

In as much as he wanted to hear her explanations and probably continue this conversation he couldn't because he could tell how she looked drained of energy. He wanted to understand what was happening but it wasn't that easy.

She nods her head and he heads inside for Ashley who is busy talking to her newfound friend. She wasn't available to see what had happened during the game and its aftermath.

Ashley comes back with Lucas only to find her friend in the backseat of the car, eyes shut as she leans against the door. She could sense that something wasn't right but she decided to let it go. Just for tonight.

Lucas decides he can't let this go, so he drops Ashley home first before proceeding to Cam's house.

_ _

Cam gets out of the car, shutting it slowly. She was headed for her house when Lucas held her arm to stop her.

He couldn't go back leaving their conversation hanging.

"Are you telling me you feel nothing?" He asks, voice low, almost as if he refuses to believe she didn't feel the same way.

"Lucas," She turns to face him. "I can't like you."

He blinks at her, shaking his head. "What does that even mean?"

"You're my best friend's cousin." She shouts.

"That's not reason enough." He frowns, "I need a suitable reason. Something that would make sense to me."

"Girls flock around you every single day. So many of them swoon over you. Liking me, It would just break their hearts. I don't need them hating me for liking you back, not that I care. Besides I don't know you too much to trust that you won't hurt me."

His look softens, "If it's about the girls, I promise, I can minimize how I relate with them. I genuinely like you."

"That's the thing, I don't want you changing who you are because of me. Let's just stay friends. It's for the best."

He holds and brings her closer to him so he can stare her in the eye. "I can't keep pretending like I don't feel anything for you. I lose myself around you. I want you."

She shut her eyes, he was making it difficult for her, being this close and saying these words. He was clouding her senses yet she still managed to hold her stance. "I'm sorry but it's either friendship or nothing."

Pain seizes his heart. "Why are you doing this? It hurts.." he trails ".....bad."

She lets out another breath as tears sting her eyes. "I'm sorry."

"Princess! Amy! Please don't do this." He pleads, eyes begging earnestly.

She shakes her head as the tears spill down her cheeks, before sprinting to her door and shutting it behind her when she enters.

"Fuck!" He mutters raking his hand through his hair. His heart was shattering into bits and pieces and damn it hurt so bad. So freaking bad.

friendship or nothing

It kept resonating in his mind throughout the ride back home.

******

Hey! Another chapter!

So what do you think?

Remember to vote, and comment.

Why do you think Cam is doing this?