22. OPTIONLESS

While June was still laughing, Samson Summers popped up around the corner of the white-painted reception room.

"The love is deep, huh?" His voice was playful but immediately took a serious edge. "Too bad. I thought you knew better than to hook up during touring season."

June stared daggers at the man, flushed and fuming.

He sighed exasperatedly, disappointment etched on his face. "Six years of managing and she still doesn't get when I'm joking."

Samson tucked one hand in his pocket while glancing at the ice watch on the other one. "The hired jet is at the City's private terminal, we'll be departing by 2 pm pronto so we can stay on schedule. When will you be joining the crew?"

June stroked her chin. "Hmm. Jason and I are gonna grab a bite. I promise I'll be there before two."

Mr. Summers' phone suddenly rang. "Ah, the booking agent." He gleaned at the contact before answering. "Hello, Cooper. What do you got for me?"

Striding past us, he walked out through the double glass doors and straight into the back of a Mercedes Benz jeep.

"We've got three hours till 2," I said after the jeep had driven away. "Are you talking fast food?"

June turned toward the elevator. "Pfft. The jet was chattered to transport me. It'll stay grounded forever if I don't show up." She looked at me over her shoulders, picking up my concerned look. "But of course, I'll make it before two. I've got everything planned out."

My stomach rumbled. "So if it's not fast food..."

"It's a surprise." She sang as she entered the elevator. "Lemme get my jacket, I won't take long."

'Damn' I thought. 'Gotta love that fire.'

*****

A sleek black Ford pulled up at the back alley of a Cross-Bakes branch, barely a meter from the walls.

"No way." I gaped as the driver opened the back door for us to exit. I gave June a sly look before hopping out of the car. "Don't tell me-"

"Yup." She took my hand as she stepped out. "Booked the place for the afternoon. It was supposed to be a solo 'last-lunch-in-hometown' kind of thing, but you couldn't resist me so I said 'why not let you tag along?' "

"Nice one," I joked. "But if I remember correctly, you asked me out of the country. And then settled for a local date."

A vibrant grey-haired man opened the steel backdoors from inside. He wore a black turtle neck sweater and carton-colored pants. "Miss Austere," A beam spread across his face. "Why, I thought I dreamt up the reservation call with your manager. It felt so unreal."

June smiled politely and brushed back a streak of red hair. "You must be the manager here, am I right?"

"Quite right you are. Call me Dan." His attention turned to me. Just when I thought his tone couldn't get any jollier, it did. "Somebody pinch me. I didn't know that the 'two' included Jason McLean. I'd go for a handshake but I don't know if you'd like that."

I extended my hand with a smile. "I'm human, just like you."

After the handshake, he led us inside. We made our way through the large kitchen to the desolate eatery. It was a different Cross-Bakes branch from the one Nic invited me to, but the interior decor was very similar.

"I turned off all the CCTV cameras to ensure this is completely private." He gestured towards the prepared table.

All the other tables were plain with only salt and pepper except for the one in the middle which was dressed with a fine red tablecloth and adorned with a sleek flower vase and two sets of cutlery on either side along with the menu. And don't forget the candle.