30. CRESCENDO

The feeling... it was exhilarating.

All up in my bones and muscles, a tingling sensation set in. Followed by a surge of energy like a thousand sugar rush.

I took off the sky-blue helmet and flung it aside. My eyes locked with Kazar who had his fists balled together, about to hammer down on Nic.

With a crouch, my cream gold armor solidified and as I sprang forward, the jetpack popped out and gave me a boost.

My fist met his jaw with a resounding superman punch; the force blasting him through the wall and far outside the room.

I smirked underneath and looked at the glowing blue 'T' on my armor's chest. "Good to be back!" I roared.

"Likewise," Blitz remarked. "But let's not celebrate too soon."

"Right." I looked through the swirling dust that arose from the broken wall. Beyond the hole was a dim tunnel section and Kazar had slammed into one edge; Cracks diverging from the point where his body was engraved in the rocky surface.

He gave a sadistic chuckle before breaking one hand free, then the other.

Barring my teeth, I fired up my jetpack and launched at him, smashing both knees into his crimson skull. The air around rippled and the momentum bashed him through the rocks and into another room.

When I flew in after him, I was suddenly yanked at the leg and pummeled into the ground. My vision adjusted just in time to see a towering Kazar with an increasingly glowing red circle on his chest.

"Proton beam shower incoming." Blitz piped and automatically steered my jetpack to propel me off the floor right before the intense red beam was blasted.

But the beam didn't stop, instead, Kazar steered it upward-still trying to nail me.

It trailed me as I began to circle the room, getting closer every second.

Electron grappling hooks lashed out from my shoulders and wrapped around Kazar's neck whisking him into my merry-go-round. With a powerful momentum, I released him to collide with another wall; Though it seemed like I had underestimated his reflexes.

He clung to the wall like a spider. Then he sprung and drove a shocked me through the ground which collapsed into a dark abyss.

Maneuvering out of his grasp, I flew over him and quickly fired massive pulse blasts from my cannon-shaped hands. The light from the electrons illuminated the darkness as they reached Kazar faster than he could react. He screamed and was blasted farther down.

Once the waves had dispersed, darkness covered everywhere again.

"Don't go in after him," Blitz snapped. "The portal generator was almost fully charged when you freed me. And it has all the energy needed to open the portal in its reservoir. We have to shut it down before we have an army of Alx on our hands."

Shivers ran down my spine at the thought of a legion of Kazars. With the boost of my jetpack, I backtracked to the ruined office, touching down in front of the giant white ring-shaped device.

The radical glowing particles at the center were multiplying as they spun around each other while sparking sounds filled the air.

Looking away from the blinding lights of the reaction, I saw Nic kneeling beside the lower body of Alain Archer protruding from underneath a rubble of bricks. He backed me with his shoulders trembling. And when he glanced my way, his eyes brimmed with tears and spite. But he said nothing.

"Jason," Blitz sensed my motive to console Nic. "There's no time for that, the portal is almost complete."

"Nic," As I walked over to him, sympathy laced my voice. "I'm so sorry."