31. WHAT BECOMES OF US: Part 1

JUNE AUSTERE'S POV

Another thunderclap sounded when I woke up with a jolt. In a flash, I recalled my surroundings; fancy night lamp, extra comfy queen-size bed, grandiose wallpaper; the expensive apartment in Super Sound Studios. I wish I could say that the storm outside woke me up from a blissful sleep. But I'd be lying to myself. I was hurting inside.

I was stressed out about the tour so the fact that it was postponed should've relieved me. But instead I was restless and still without a conclusion about Jason. Was he brave? Untrue? Heroic? He was all of those but more rattling was the fact that he was Tekeon all along. So many feelings swirled inside me. Even after a couple of hours to calm my nerves, I still wasn't sure how to deal with that realization.

Samson had probed me during the first aid session for the full details of how I ended up in Tekeon's arms. I was speechless at first until he insinuated that Jason was Tekeon. It was at that very moment that words rolled off my tongue. And thank goodness the right ones.

Jason; He was hot, rich, nice, and interesting. Why did he have to be more? I thought perfection was impossible.

What's the time? I pondered, slipping out of the red fluffy duvet and reaching for my iPhone on the bedside table, right next to the night lamp.

Just then, my phone rang and made me jolt. Looking closer, I saw it was Ember calling. And for the first time, I was reluctant to pick up. Because I was worried. And I always tell her everything when I'm worried. But the plea in Jason's voice when he charged me not to reveal his secret, it pulled at my heartstrings.

Before I knew it, the call rang out. I decided I'd answer the next time she called and try not to talk about Jason.

With my conscience settled, I  watched my finger hover hesitantly over the NCN app. My worry about Jason had intensified and was getting the better of me. C'mon June, stop being afraid.

When I was dropped off at the studio with a left hand wrapped in bandages, I checked the news headlines only to see 'Tekeon vs Monster: Round 2'. After then I'd put my phone away out of anxiety. But with every passing second, I wondered if he was okay. The way that monster's eyes bore through me back at Cross-Bakes, I had never been so terrified. The thought of Jason getting injured–or worse–prevented me from checking the result of the clash.

But curiosity was eating me up. He saved me from danger and flew back into the danger zone. Part of me was dying to know if he saved himself.

"Please be okay," I muttered before finally opening the NCN app and quickly tapping on NC-Desk's latest report.
The screen was overtaken by a video. Their star reporter–standing just in front of a giant hole in the earth–was dressed in a white turtleneck sweater and black jeans. She brushed back a streak of black hair that was being tussled by the wind.

"This is Elise Sally, reporting live at the scene of the otherworldly explosion that lit up the night here in New Chronos. It happened exactly ten minutes ago here in this forest region. And as you can see,  there's a large depression in the Earth, the size of a massive crater, just behind me. What's crazy about this scene is that there is not the slightest trace of fire around. The closest trees to the hole are unscathed. On the scene are the fire department who naturally expected a wildfire, and the NCPD going straight into investigation. Wait! There's a figure limping out from the trees, heading my way."