.EPILOGUE.

NIC COLIN'S POV

A great noise.

My ears about to pop.

My eyes shut tight but I could still see the burst of white light and hear the thundering of the explosion--that is, until I slipped into unconsciousness. That moment might as well have been my last. . .but it wasn't.

---- ----
10 YEARS AGO

"We are Colins, it's in us to come out top in class, do you hear me, Nic?" My father gave me a stern look while my mother helped him out with his dry-cleaned suit. She put the sleeves through his spread-open arms and it slipped right on perfectly.
She looked at him with admiration and he pecked her forehead with his mouth and moustache.

My posture was tense as I waited for this lecture to end--one more time. I didn't register when a sigh escaped my mouth.

Dad glared at me, obviously taking it as a sign of disrespect. As I braced for an extended lecture, a series of knocks came from the front door, stealing everyone's attention.

"I'll get it." Mom strode through the living room into the passageway. Dad and I stood still, mutually interested in knowing who'd pay us a visit this early in the morning. I hoped it was the person I had in mind and a familiar laughter confirmed it. My eyes sparked and I dashed after the voice, much to my dad's contempt. "Uncle Alain!"

"Hey, boyo!" He stepped into the living room and I tackled him in a hug. "Easy there. Oh, bonjour, Tristan."

I heard my dad grunt. "Qu'est-ce que tu fais chez moi?"

"Nic called me yesterday and invited me over. Said you two won't be available to drop him off at school today. So, since I don't work a 9-5 in a cubicle like some people," the moment he said that I couldn't help but chuckle. His charisma, his tone, I wanted to be like him. "I decided I could drop--"

"No!" My dad snapped. "I was going to call a taxi for him. There's no way I'm letting you drive around with my son."

"C'mon Dad," I protested. "It's just a drop-off at school! What do you have against Uncle Alain?"

"Nic, you're too young to understand but thankfully I'm not. Your uncle is wealthy all of a sudden without getting a job." My dad turned to Uncle Alain. "You said you didn't win the lottery so that must mean you did some shady business! And my family will not associate with you."

"Does day trader mean anything to you?" Uncle Alain snapped back.

"Honey," Mom gave Dad a concerned look. "Wouldn't you rather save money on a taxi? Your brother is right here and wants to drive Nic halfway across town for free."

"That's what I'm concerned about." Dad spat. His eyes moved from my gloomy face to Mom's gloomy face, then his features softened. "Fine," he faced Uncle. "You can drive him to school. But I'll call the school in one hour and I swear if they can't confirm that Nic is safely inside, you'll have another thing coming!"

"Mon frère," Uncle Alain smiled. "You've got to soften up a little."

* * *

"Awesome!" I roared at the sight of the sleek jeep. There was a convoy of three black cars around it.

Uncle Alain chuckled. "Oh, you like this old thing? I'm planning on buying a bigger one soon. C'mon, hop in."

I excitedly obliged and got into the back seat with him. The driver and the other dude in the passenger seat wore dark shades over their stone-cold expressions. The sight of them made me shiver. If anything they resembled thugs than a classy company.