Chapter Eight

Silent Shinobi (8)

Kakashi's POV

Now! Channeling chakra into my hand, I took a deep breath while lightning beginning to surround my hand at a quickening pace. This was going to take a lot of chakra, but if this could finally stop Zabuza, then I was willing to risk it. I ran towards Zabuza, who began to struggle but was held firmly by the ninja hounds biting onto him. Counting down, I prepared to swing my hand towards him but noticed a sudden, fast movement out of the corner of my eye. I gritted my teeth, mentally shaking myself to focus on the jutsu and brushing it aside as the wind.

Zabuza growled, trying to shake off the ninja hounds as I approached. I It was too late! "Lightning Blade!" I shouted, my Sharingan glinting as I threw my hand towards Zabuza.

Suddenly, a black figure crashes into Zabuza, shoving him further away and taking his position instead while the ninja hounds disappear. My eyes widened in shock at the speed of the mysterious savior, and even more when I realized that it was Zeri. No, I couldn't stop the Jutsu, it was too late! For the first time in a while, a dreaded and horrified feeling began to seep through my veins as Zabuza shouted out while Zeri closed her eyes, bracing herself.

A Crystal Ice Mirror forms in front of Zeri, and I gasp as Haku appears, his expression calm even as the Lightning Blade pierces through his body, leaving him bloodied.

"....l-love y-you," he coughs out, his figure drooping slowly. The fog begins to fade, and Naruto runs into the clearing, letting out a shout when he sees Haku injured and bloody. Zabuza suddenly chuckles, and Zeri opens her eyes, shock and disbelief flitting across her face as she stares blankly at the back of Haku's head.

"Well done, Haku," He praises, a sadistic grin on his face as he stares at Haku and Zeri. "Zeri will be a very powerful weapon in the future. A wise choice," he laughs. "I knew I'd found a treasure when I found you, boy!" Raising his sword, he charged towards me. I growl, trying to pull away but realising that the boy was gripping onto my hand tightly.

"Kakashi-sensei!" Sakura's scream rang through the air and I cursed, my other hand reaching towards him to pull him out of the way, when Zeri appeared in front of Haku with lightning speed, her leg rising to deliver a kick. My eyes widened as I skidded a few meters away from them, watching as Zeri gently lay him on the ground, her back to me. "Why, you!" Naruto yelled, glaring at Zabuza before switching to Zeri with a confused expression on his face. I notice Zabuza shoot a concerned look briefly to Zeri, before he grins darkly at me.

"Good job, Zeri," he chuckles. "I knew you were more worthy than Haku!" Naruto growls, raising his fist in the air. "You'll pay for that!" He yells, about to charge towards Zabuza.

"Stay out of this, Naruto!" I told him, watching Zeri kneel beside Haku silently. "This is my battle."

Sakura suddenly calls out to Naruto, rushing towards him. Naruto sighs tiredly, probably knowing how hard it was to break the news to Sakura about Sasuke. "Where's Sasuke, Naruto?" Sakura wonders, but Naruto doesn't reply, trembling slightly. Her eyes widen, her mouth open in shock. "No," she breathes, and I begin to walk over to them. "Sakura," I call out, but Zabuza rushes towards me while swinging his sword.

"I'd pay attention to the fight if I were you, Kakashi!" Zabuza shouts, swinging his sword down, but I avoided it and kicked him in the face, knocking him away. He's slowing down, I realized, dodging his sword as he growls in frustration. The ninja hounds did well. I briefly hear Sakura's cries from across the clearing, and I sigh wearily, knowing it was going to be hard to comfort her later.

As Zabuza swung his sword down determinedly, I disappeared and reappeared behind him, holdin the back of his neck firmly. "Look at you, already falling apart," I taunted him. "I'm disappointed. You have no idea what real strength entails. Game over - you loose!" I aim two kunai knives at Zabuza, but he knocks them away with his sword and flips over, landing in front of Naruto while his sword slides across the bridge.