chapter nine.

After that encounter with Saemi, Arya has been nothing but stressed out. She felt drained and tired, she wanted a break— No. She needed a break. But life had other plans for her today.

She came home after school, finding her mom fixing up a lunchbox that very obviously belonged to her dad. Arya frowned after putting on her bear slippers. Shuffling her feet, she called out to her mom.

"Mom? Why are you putting together Dad's lunchbox now?" Arya asked, crossing her arms over her chest. It was out of character for her mom to do it so late, especially if she's a woman who's always on top of everything.

"I woke up late today so I couldn't make him one in time," Her mom replied solemnly. Arya's never seen her mom so upset, taking mental note of how puffy her mother's eyes were.

"Could you drop this off for you dad in the office?" Her mom requested, sliding over the lunchbox as a yawn escaped her lips. "I'm not going into work today. I'll be sleeping."

Arya just stared before nodding slowly, taking the lunchbox. "Alright then, Mom," Arya said slowly, "I'll be home later, I think. Riki and Jake invited me to a new restaurant."

Her mom just nodded before walking up the stairs with slow and heavy steps, her shoulders slumped.

Arya just watched quietly before heading back outside after changing her shoes into her sneakers. Her uniform was still on as well as her backpack.

Putting the lunchbox securely in the basket in front of her bike, she began her journey towards her father's office.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Going through the revolving doors was a struggle, she hadn't been in this place since she was little. Arya walked towards the receptionist timidly, a tight smile on her lips.

"Oh my goodness, do my eyes deceive me?" The receptionist said, blinking rapidly. Arya blushed, rubbing the nape of her neck.

"It's good to see you again, Miss Hwang!" Arya greeted with the same tight smile. She held the lunchbox against her chest.

"You've grown up so much, Arya! I remember when you were just a little baby and running in here just for a lollipop," Miss Hwang sighed with a bright smile on her face.

"I see that lunchbox. It must be for your father! He's in his cubicle upstairs," Miss Hwang continued, eyeing the brightly colored cloth that wrapped the lunchbox like a warm hug.

"Awesome! What floor?"
"It really has been that long, huh. He's on floor 4, sweetie!"

Arya bowed before heading towards the elevator, getting on once the doors opened. Luckily, she was the only one in there which meant there was absolutely no one who could remind her of little her.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Making it to floor 4, she bowed to other employees who had a delightful smile on their face. It was the normal greetings of "Hi Arya! Nice to see you again!"

It was starting to get annoying to hear, but she couldn't do much about it, could she? She walked towards a familiar area, seeing multiple cubicles. As she scanned the area, she was able to see the top of her father's head.

His black hair was graying out but he looked as young as ever. She tiptoed towards his desk.

"Psst!" Arya hissed, causing her dad to flinch in his seat. He was dozing off earlier with his hands still on the keyboard in front of him. He turned around, finding his beloved daughter right in front of him with a purple cloth.