fifteen

i expected the worst when i went back home. i pictured that dad would instantly march up to me and start lashing out at me for leaving the house. then mom would have to persuade him to calm down and obviously, hyojung would step in and tell dad that he's going too far.

but none of that happened.

when i stepped inside our home, i saw that dad was peacefully sitting at the living room table cutting a pear. he seemed to be in a spectacular mood, humming to himself while the tv played in the background.

"i'm back home," i announced, as i slipped off my shoes and expected the entire house to go up in flames, but dad simply looked up and said, "you're back. i hope you didn't catch a cold."

"i didn't," i replied, and put on the slippers that i usually wear at home.

"come here," dad said, and i clutched the straps of my backpack, anxious to see what happens next.

he cut the pear into four pieces and put it into a small bowl. he grabbed a toothpick and stuck it into a pear before pushing the bowl towards me, " eat up."

"oh... okay then," this is so weird. what put him in such a good mood?

i awkwardly grabbed the bowl, expecting dad to scream "sike" and then go into full-blown lecture mode, but he still didn't.

just as i left him at the table to continue cutting pears, i stopped at my door and muttered, "sorry for leaving like that, dad."

"that's okay, i shouldn't have yelled," he said back to me, and with that i closed the door behind me.

i didn't find out what caused him to be in such a tranquil mood until my sister came home with junghyun. he sat in the living room, laughing with my dad and joking around as if they were old buddies.

"we set the wedding date," hyojung broke the news to me, but the presence of enthusiasm or the look of euphoria was absent in her expression. she simply looked defeated and disappointed. the usual light in her seemed to have gone somewhere else.

"you don't want to get married to him, do you?" i asked her softly, recalling the time that junghyun came running to our restaurant to apologize to her.

"i care for him, but he's too immature for me. i don't want to marry him if i know that we'll just continue our pattern of fighting, making up and my losing trust for him as a person who i can rely on," hyojung wiped away a single tear that slipped out of the corner of her eye with finger, before sniffling.

"junghyun proposed the idea of confirming a wedding date with dad, to which he obviously agreed. i told him that we'll have an unstable future because i'm the one supporting junghyun right now, but dad sees nothing except the money he's going to get as dowry from junghyun's dad. it's just not reasonable," hyojung sighed.

"we can't live off of that money forever, nor is junghyun's dad going to act as his son's safety net indefinitely either. with that stepmother of his, i won't even be surprised if she convinced his dad to let him be, even if we hit rock bottom," my sister ran her hands through her hair and stared hard at her feet.

"without him, i could support myself. heck, i could even take care of you financially as well. but junghyun always spends money so unnecessarily on stupid things because he cares so much about maintaining a 'reputation.' those luxury items do nothing but make that coward look flashy," hyojung mumbled the last part.

i don't know what to say to her. i have honest thoughts, but i'm worried it'll hurt her more rather than give her advice.

"break up with him, and send him away. i rather dad take all of his anger out on me like he usually does, instead of being in a good mood. dad acting so nice to me is weird anyways, and we don't need junghyun to be eating dinner with us, slurping on his food like a fucking hog," i rolled my eyes at the last comment, and hyojung chuckled.