thirteen

"aww, thank you guys so much for coming!" gowoon grinned from ear to ear, that pretty smile of her was so bright and warm. she held a red and pink bouquet of roses in her arms that matched the colors of her dress.

"especially you juyoung. i can't believe you went out of your way to send me a bouquet too. it's such a kind gesture!" she smiled, and i looked to juyoung who looked sweaty and terrified for his life.

the six of us stood outside the auditorium where the other students were chatting with their family and friends or taking post-performance photos. no other group of people had a more awkward atmosphere than we did.

"speaking of which, isn't there something you want to ask my sister?" seojun cleared his throat and looked to juyoung. the poor boy looked to me and i mouthed, "go on, you got this! ignore him." which would have been terrific advice if he wasn't absolutely terrified of seojun.

"d-do you think you would e-enjoy having dinner with me tonight?" juyoung nervously asked as jugyeong gave him an encouraging pat on the back.

"really?" gowoon's smile grew bigger and a small blush appeared on her face.

"for fuck's sake, she cannot seriously be interested in him," seojun muttered quietly to which chorong teasingly replied, "don't worry. at least he's not like you."

"the hell does that mean?" seojun crossed his arms and turned to face his buddy.

"go, go!" i gestured for gowoon and juyoung to go on their dinner date. jugyeong caught the hint so she ushered them in the opposite direction towards the exit of the corridor.

"well he seems like a nice guy. don't you feel reassured that a friendly and bubbly guy like him is interested in your sister?" chorong asked, to which seojun raised an eyebrow.

"or would you prefer a rebellious guy with a reputation of being reckless and intimidating to be dating your sister? because oh boy if hyojin had a brother, he would react just like you- if not, even worse."

"whatever. i guess as long as he makes her happy, he's not too bad of a guy. but if he kisses or touches her without her consent i'm going to beat the living daylights out of him," seojun sighed and i laughed at him, "look at this hypocrite."

"if we're talking about consent, let's discuss what you addressed me as earlier. your girlfriend? i don't remember you asking me out," i crossed my arms at him and he rolled his eyes before straightening his back and shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants and tilted his head downwards to match my gaze.

"are you really going to be like this?" he sighed before muttering, "what else are we if we're not boyfriend and girlfriend at this point??"

"just a guy and girl that kiss and hold hands and say cheesy things. maybe we're just like gowoon and juyoung," i replied to which chorong excused himself and awkwardly announced, "i'm gonna go hang with the guys. see you seojun."

"see you," seojun said, and then groaned as he looked back to me. "stop bringing my sister and that fool into this, i can't even imagine that little shit trying to flirt with gowoon. it's different with us because we've actually dated before."

"yes and remember the first time we dated, you had to ask me out-" i don't know why i was making such a big deal out of this but i wanted him to be more lenient to juyoung. poor gowoon's love life is being interfered with by seojun.

"-okay okay," he grabbed me by the hand and led me out of the corridor.

he took me to a nearby karaoke place that we've frequented in the past and along the way i kept asking why he's suddenly in the mood to sing.