Chapter Fifteen

Cassandra's Point of View

My finger tips played with the corners of the envelope and then scraped against the wax seal that kept the envelope closed. The wax seal still felt warm against by skin which means he decided to grace me with some inspiration today. I laughed under my breath at the stupid joke. The front of the paper was inked with my name and droplets of ink littered the front - my father's handwriting so elegant but so messy.

I separated the wax from the paper with my fingernail and took the letter out. The printing of letters were engraved and leaked to the back of the page - just abuse the page why don't you dad? I unfolded the paper and traced my fingertips on the writing.

Cassandra,

I was thinking and your mother and I thought the way we left you was kind of harsh to say the least. This is the safest thing to do for you at the moment until we figure out what the end result of Cordelia's plan. Riley will look after you and you can go to him for anything - he does seem kind of brutish at first but he opens up.

I rolled my eyes and could almost hear the annoying words come from his mouth. I sat up from the table letter in hand and opened up the kitchen drawer that was not more than a couple feet from my. I took out the joint that has been just waiting for me. I put it to my lips and lit it - ah, sweet reprieve. My eyes attached themselves to the letter again puffing on the rolled paper in my finger tips.

In the mean time you need to learn how to get in control of your powers. They are far too erratic and they need to be able to protect you.

Power is not always everything either - Riley is a great swordsman and you should take the time to learn a few things.

What the hell : Was this like medieval punishment? I puffed again and looked out the window leaning my head on my hand. This is all too much, way too much.

Continue your studies and put down the recreational drugs too - they make your brain mush.

My eyes went wide and i threw the half lit paper into the sink turning on the water. The red hot tip sizzled and then smoked. You win for now. I held the letter to my chest and continued staring out the window at the drizzling rain. The scent of my mother's perfume escaping the paper. What a nice little touch. I threw the letter to the counter - it's time to stop being pitiful.

I grabbed the leather bound book from the table. My nails hitting the wax dripping on the cover. And threw a blanket over my shoulders. The warm breeze and droplets of rain hit the tin roof with force and made it sound even more aggressive when I opened the front door.

I reached my hand out, lighting the candle wicks instantly. The wax melted on the wooden planks of the porch. I sat criss-crossed on the porch with a creak sounding from the wood beneath me. I laid the book down in front of me and instantly the pages fluttered open. To another day of doing this.

The Cleansing Incantation...

Thanks book for turning to the spell I obviously needed. I looked across the field, staring at the droplets of rain - "you need to clear your mind for this to work." My mother's voice chimed in my head like a broken record. Having a protective plane based on the reflection of you is quite - difficult.

In the distance I could see the figure of the man in the tall grass. His sword swung and swished in the air before hitting the dummy that stood in front of him. His shirt was soaked and his body showed from underneath the opaque white shirt. His face screwed into a face of concentration before starting his next attack. The rain dribbled down his face and soaked his curls making him wipe his face.