Chapter Sixteen

Cassandra's Point of View :

Weeks went by and the days never passed without routine. Breakfast, reading the antiquity, practicing magic, fighting, lunch, more practice, dinner. Riley woke me up as soon as the sun came up in the morning and bid me a goodnight as soon as the stars lit up the sky. Practicing magic and fighting made me feel stronger - but the more strong I felt the more Riley was becoming cold shouldered and generally weird.

I looked in the mirror - looking at the purple eyes that have become brighter. I tied my hair up in a ponytail, tightening it. Not a minute late I heard the front door squeak open and Riley greet me with a deep, "Good-morning." The aroma of coffee swirled in the air.

I came out of the bathroom. His figure at the kitchen table, head in his hands rubbing his temples. "Are you okay?" I lightly said to him taking a seat across the table from him grabbing the coffee he prepared for me. He looked at me and squeezed his lips together, nodding.

"Maybe we should rest today. We have been at it for weeks and you have become a professional." His words were littered with sleep as slurps were audible from sips of hot coffee. I leaned back in my chair, smiling. His eyebrow raised looking at me with curiosity.

"Didn't you say..." Riley's tongue clicked at me, cutting me off. The smell of alcohol slipped from his lips and I looked at him. Was he hung over?

"I know what I said Cassandra," I didn't know we were on full names again. I told him let's take a break a week in and he started with, 'breaks are for the weak.' I do think he was trying to get a rise out of me and see how many buttons he could push before I explode.  "I'm sorry for speaking with haste." He grumbled before clearing his throat and taking another sip.

"You were drinking, why, " I questioned him. His eyes went wide before he nodded and sipped another sip of coffee. "Okay, well at least come here." He leaned forward and I put my hand onto his forehead. Drops of sweat moistening my palm - he really did a number, didn't he. A warm gold lightened his skin and Riley took a deep breath of relief. Since learning this healing summons it has become so easy to heal even the smallest splinters or the biggest hang overs.

"That comes into handy a lot," Riley smirked at me before leaning back in the chair making it creak. I looked at him with pleading eyes. I really wanted to stick to our routine. I've felt so much power after every practice and have begun to even notice a difference in my body. "Okay, one round then we rest." He took the last slurp before pointing his head to the door and stepping towards it. The excitement made my body propel up into a little jump.

We waded through the grass Riley a couple strides behind me. When we finally made it to the barn, I picked up my sword with my hand and positioned myself ready for defense and attack. "Okay, killer, I am a bit sore." Riley guarded himself as I giggled and swung the sword making the metals grind against each other. The combination of the metal clanking and the grunts coming from our moving bodies bought concentration and excitement to the air.

The more we practiced the stronger Riley was becoming too and he was now a good competitor, even winning sometimes. I swung again and Riley growled, "that was a cheap shot," I laughed and before I could even grasp the handle to think of my next shot I was on the ground my body hitting the dirt with a thud. "That's why you don't get cocky." Riley said through his smiling teeth - which was always a pleasant sight.

I swung my legs across his making him fall the ground next to me. I swung my legs over his torso trapping him to the ground with my body. I reached for my sword and put it to his neck. "This is why you don't underestimate me." I laughed again and his face turned into a smile making his face light up. He grunted pulling my arm away from him and causing the sword to clatter beside us. I lost my balance feeling a force pushing me up and then down to the ground - Riley now on top of me. His hips against me.

Warmth flushed my body and face as Riley laid between my legs pushing me to the ground keeping me from getting up. He looked at me, his breath smelling of mint from the piece of gum he popped in his mouth when walking out here. "This is why you stay focused." He breathily said looking down at me - his words intoxicating. His face came closer to me his breath fanning my face - our noses grazing each other. His hips pushed down on me causing me to intake a deep breath.

Every nerve in my body becoming electricity causing my heart to pound in my chest. We have been with each other for weeks, this was bound to happen : was it boredom, loneliness or both? Was I longing for physical touch from him or just someone? I could feel the goosebumps form and the hair on my arms raise. I raised my chin up grazing my lips against his - his lips formed against mine slowly.

My head turned into a tornado and my body like liquid. My heart thumping against my rib cage causing the blood to rush to my head. Riley was physically attractive but proved to be even more handsome with the things he did like fighting, working out in the field, and even cooking. He provided me with a wholesome environment in days that were so routine.

I wrapped my arms around his neck - kissing him hard on the mouth causing him to let go of a groan. His hands reached my face letting me feel the heat that my cheeks were radiating. I squeezed my thighs around his torso, flipping our bodies - my body pressed against him. His lips molded perfectly to mine and his hands moved touching my face and neck tenderly.

My hips swayed against him slowly before his palm and fingers lightly grasped my neck pushing me back softly. I looked at him and his eyes were lazily looking at me before they went wide. His hands reached down to my hips and he pulled me up off his body causing me to sit next to him in the grass.

He stood up and tugged at his thick curls looking down at me. "We can't do this. It's against the book." His eyebrows knitted together before lightly cussing underneath his breath and walking away. Riley's body moved swiftly towards his house before slamming the door. Not soon after I heard glass shatter and a shout.

My heart felt like it broke a bit and deep down I felt as if I was unwanted or undesirable. My whole life felt that way - I was the odd one out, the one that was weak, the black sheep. I loved everyone around me with my whole being and never received anything back. It wasn't until my parents put me on this plane to realize that maybe I was out in this universe to show people love but to never receive it back. Was it me or was this a chivalry thing with Riley?

The past few weeks we have bonded undoubtedly and he was the only one that never kept me in the dark about what was of this universe. Teaching of myths, legends, and hypothesis that were ultimately true just never on the plane that I thought was the only reality. Did we bond or become closer because we only have each other; Or did we bond because he loved to teach about his history and world and I listened?

Maybe I was thinking too deeply about Riley and the past few weeks. Maybe what happened was us inadvertently fighting cabin fever.